Despard bids

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Children need one parent to stay at home

first_imgNZ Herald 20 November 2014A retired judge says families need more financial support so that one parent can stay at home for the first three years of each child’s life.Graeme MacCormick, a Family Court judge for 16 years until 2005, has paid for full-page advertisements in the country’s four main newspapers yesterday and this weekend asking people to sign a “children’s plea” to MPs “to accord urgency and priority to all issues impacting the wellbeing of children”.Children’s Commissioner Dr Russell Wills said the plea was well timed because the Government was focused on tackling child poverty in next year’s Budget. “The stronger public support is to invest in our youngest and poorest children, the more support the Government will have to improve its investments.”Social Development Minister Anne Tolley confirmed that child poverty would be a focus of the 2015 Budget and said she had already attended three meetings chaired by Prime Minister John Key since the election on “children and hardship”.“That will involve more resources being targeted at a number of families,” she said.Mr MacCormick’s “plea” has already been signed by 28 community leaders including broadcaster Judy Bailey, former Children’s Commissioner Dr Ian Hassall, parenting gurus Ian and Mary Grant, Great Potentials Foundation founder Dame Lesley Max and child poverty activists Dr Nikki Turner and Dr Susan St John.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11361331last_img read more

116 cars pack pits for Dubuque County Fair races

first_imgBy Jerry MackeyDUBUQUE, Iowa (July 31) – The 63rd annual Dubuque County Fair came to a close on Sunday, July 31 with racing action featuring a season-high 116 cars. The large crowd was treated to an excellent night of racing on a beautiful night for the County Fair curtain call.Tyler Droste won the Out-Pace Racing Products IMCA Late Model main ahead of Chuck Hanna and Joel Callahan while the Merfeld Brothers Automotive IMCA Modified top three were Justin Kay, Jason Schueller and Jeremiah Hurst.The IMCA Sunoco Stock Car winner was David Brandies with Jerry Miles second and Roger Ciesiel­ski third.The finish for the GSI Collision Specialists IMCA Northern SportMod feature saw Troy Bauer first, followed by Tyler Soppe and Dalton Simonsen.last_img

NBA free agency rumors: Are the Mavericks the favorites to sign Patrick Beverley?

first_img NBA free agency rumors: At least 5 teams expected to pursue Tobias Harris Beverley averaged 7.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 78 games for the Clippers this season. The lockdown defender spent the first five years of his career with the Rockets before he was sent to Los Angeles as part of the Chris Paul trade in June 2017.“I feel like any team I’m on, I can help take that team to the playoffs,” Beverley told the Chicago Tribune recently. “Just me, my attitude, what I bring defensively, my grit and grind, my ability to play-make, rebound and make shots, the leader I am, I’m excited to see what door opens. If it’s a young team or older veteran team, I’m ready. Related News NBA free agency rumors: Lakers, Knicks, Mavericks most interested in Kemba Walker The Mavericks have a strong chance to end up with Patrick Beverley.Dallas and the 30-year-old guard believe they are a “perfect fit,” according to a report from the Dallas Morning News, which cites unidentified league sources. Beverley and the team will meet at some point after free agency begins June 30. NBA free agency rumors: Are these two teams the front-runners to sign Al Horford? “This is my first time being an unrestricted free agent, so of course I’m super excited to go through the process, to be wooed, to see the hard work and everything I’ve been through to this point be rewarded. I’m just really happy and confident and excited with how this past season went. I can’t wait to see what the future holds.”The Lakers and 76ers are both interested in Beverley, according to the report. He also said he’d be open to joining the Bulls. The Mavericks finished 2018-19 with a 33-49 record and missed the playoffs for a third straight season. They’re expected to offer restricted free agent Kristaps Porzingis a max contract and could pursue Al Horford, as well.Dallas guard Luka Doncic was named the Rookie of the Year at the NBA awards show earlier this week.last_img read more

Big Bad Bird: Ten-Foot “Terror Bird” Found

first_imgWhat would a “terror bird” look like?  Imagine a ten-footer, able to disembowel you with a single kick and crush your skull in its jaws.  That’s what scientists from the Dinosaur Institute of the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History described in Nature1 after finding the largest-ever skull of a flightless phorusrhacid (‘terror bird’) in Argentina.  While other phorusrhacids stood 2-3 feet tall, the skull of this one was as big as that of a horse, implying it stood 10 feet tall.  It had a sharp, eagle-like beak and was probably agile and swift.    Contrary to earlier opinion, taller does not mean fatter and slower, the researchers surmised.  In a classic example of stuffy scientific jargon, they wrote, “We conclude that reconstructions of the skull of gigantic phorusrhacids on the basis of their smaller relatives are unwarranted, and that the long-established correlation between their corpulence and reduced cursorial agility needs to be re-evaluated.”    See also the National Geographic entry.  Despite saying this discovery was just in time for Halloween, Sean Markey wrote that “much about terror bird behavior remains unknown.”  They are presumed to have been South America’s top predators after dinosaurs went extinct.1Luis M. Chiappe and Sara Bertelli, “Palaeontology: Skull morphology of giant terror birds,” Nature 443, 929(26 October 2006) | doi:10.1038/443929.You can’t call it a terror bird without being there to watch it.  Inferences from living ostriches and rheas are probably warranted, but maybe these were big, beautiful, stupid and sweet.  Maybe they would have made good pets.  Don’t put it together with the cat, though.  (Imagine it having a chirp like Here, kitty kitty kitty.)  Best put the bird in the yard and the cat in the cage.(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Not just another exile novel

first_img27 September 2005South Africans like me living abroad might find the descriptions of our home country sketched in Troy Blacklaws’ Karoo Boy resonant with the memories we treasure in our own hearts – full of textures and colours and sounds we miss, painfully beautiful, exaggerated into the romantic.Non-South Africans reading with a more critical historical eye might wonder at the absence of political detail in a novel set in the era of Steve Biko’s death and the Soweto uprising. They will remark at the over-simplistic way “liberal” whites versus “conservative” whites and “good” blacks versus “bad” whites are pigeonholed.South Africans at home might label it another novel written by a South African in exile.There’d be merit in all of the above. Blacklaws, who lives in Germany, said of his debut novel: “I wrote Karoo Boy partly as a reply to Disgrace, as I found JM Coetzee’s South Africa relentlessly bleak. I have not shied away from violence and cruelty, but have focused on a sensuous, filmic evocation of South Africa, ending on a note of hope.“Coetzee writes of Africa with a scalpel. I write with a stubby, chewed pencil.”With his poetic style and liberal sprinkling of phrases that makes you smell Muizenberg’s beach and feel the sun blasting down on the Karoo, Blacklaws certainly succeeds in vividly colouring in Coetzee’s bleak landscape and adding hope to the South African story.“Filmic” it certainly is – in fact, South African producer Anant Singh has just acquired the movie rights to the book, after a bidding war with two UK-based companies. The script of Karoo Boy will go into production in 2006 and will be directed by South African commercials director Sunu Gonera.From Cape to KarooThe delicately woven novel tells the story of how 14-year-old Douglas deals with loss and grief after his twin brother Marsden dies in a freak accident. He has to leave behind a leisurely childhood of surf and sun in the Cape and move with his mother to a small and arid Karoo town where she turns to painting full time while he is left to deal with the tough local Afrikaner boys.Two friends lead Douglas on the journey through adolescence, helping him deal with his pain and find himself: the rebellious Marika, who lights the flame of teenage passion in him, and Moses, a petrol attendant who has been stranded in the Karoo after his dompas was stolen. Moses becomes a father figure in Douglas’s life and, by telling him of his own initiation time with the abakwetha, gets Douglas to see his time in Klipdorp as a rite of passage to manhood.Singh said of the book: “We immediately knew that it would make a compelling film and set out to acquire the rights. Karoo Boy is a story of grief and loss and about a special relationship between two individuals from vastly different backgrounds. It is a delicate yet absorbing story and will translate well into film.”Singh and Gonera have their work cut out for them if they are to attempt to capture the nostalgic beauty of South Africa in film the way Blacklaws has in this easy reading and sumptuous novel.Source: SA Timeslast_img read more

Jammu-Srinagar highway reopens, over 4,500 vehicles resume journey

first_imgOver 4,500 vehicles, mostly trucks carrying apples from Kashmir, have resumed their onward journey by Sunday afternoon as the Jammu-Srinagar national highway was reopened for traffic three days after being blocked by a massive landslide, officials said. The 270-km strategic highway, the only all-weather road linking Kashmir with rest of the country, was cleared of debris brought in by the landslide near Digdole around 3 p.m. on Saturday, a traffic department official said. However, intermittent shooting stones, due to rains, from the hillocks overlooking the highway at several places including Digdole, Maroog and Panthiyal disrupted free flow of traffic.With improvement in weather, light motor vehicles were allowed to ply from both the sides, while preference was given to stranded Jammu-bound trucks carrying apples from Kashmir to outside markets.“So far, over 3,700 trucks and 800 light motor vehicles crossed the Jawahar Tunnel, the gateway of Kashmir,” the official said adding Kashmir-bound trucks, which are stranded at various places on the highway, are likely to be allowed to move towards their destination later in the day. Meanwhile, the Mughal Road which connects the border districts of Poonch and Rajouri in Jammu region with Shopian district in south Kashmir remained closed for the 12th day on Sunday. The road, which usually remains closed during the winter months, was closed on November 6 after high altitude areas including Pir Ki Gali experienced the first major snowfall of the season. Officials said a 37-km stretch of the road, from Bufliaz to Mansar morh, was cleared, while work on the seven-km stretch from Mansar morh towards Shopian is underway. The road has become slippery after the recent snowfall, delaying its reopening, they said.last_img read more

Terrence Romeo tells Leo Austria: ‘I don’t care if I’m starting or not, I just want to win’

first_imgHotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue View comments The 26-year-old Romeo, one of the best guards in the country today, has been on a downward slope since his verbal spat with his former coach Pido Jarencio last March that ultimately led to GlobalPort trading him to TNT a month later.The relationship between Romeo and the Talk ’N Text franchise, however, didn’t last long and it ended with TNT dumping the former Far Eastern University standout to San Miguel Beer in exchange for third stringers David Semerad and Brian Heruela and a 2021 first round draft pick.“He’s really excited to play and we’re excited to have him also. We welcome him with open arms,” Austria said.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Romeo to San Miguel Beer after a failed experiment at TNT was given the go-signal by the PBA on Wednesday and the idea of having another deadly scorer at his disposal had Austria mixing and matching potential lineups in his head.“I can put him off the bench or make him a starter. It really depends on the game,” Austria told INQUIRER.net on Wednesday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefBut one thing is for sure, Austria said Romeo couldn’t care any less whether he’s part of the starting five or coming off the bench.“We spoke on the phone yesterday (Tuesday) and he told me, ‘Coach, I don’t care if I’m starting or if I’m second or third stringer. I just want to win and help the team.’ And I believe him,” Austria said. Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? MANILA, Philippines—San Miguel Beer head coach Leo Austria is already licking his chops in anticipation of the arrival of Terrence Romeo, the latest addition to the star-studded Beermen roster built around reigning four-time MVP June Mar Fajardo.ADVERTISEMENT ‘Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance PLAY LIST 01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance00:50Trending Articles01:45Gordon on commute dare: ‘I don’t want be laughing stock like Panelo’02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviñocenter_img SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Magnolia ends PBA title drought, closes out Alaska in Game 6 LATEST STORIES TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READ Lacson: 2019 budget delay due to P75-B House ‘insertion’last_img read more

11 days agoMonaco midfielder Alan Dzagoev reveals open ended Chelsea offer

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Monaco midfielder Alan Dzagoev reveals open ended Chelsea offerby Paul Vegas11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveMonaco midfielder Alan Dzagoev has recalled the open ended offer he had from Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.The CSKA Moscow legend, 29, played in a trial game at the Blues early in his career, with former manager Avram Grant rejecting the chance to sign him.But club owner Abramovich told the Russian midfielder he would bring him to the club if he just said the word.Dzagoev recalled: “It’s true that Abramovich told us if we want to go to England, we just need to tell him.”But at the time, the situation was a very confusing one for me. So, I decided to stay with the club.”Dzagoev stayed in Moscow and has gone on to play over 300 times for CSKA – while adding 59 caps for Russia.The midfielder also revealed he was never approached by Arsenal or Tottenham, despite being linked with the two Premier League sides down the years. last_img read more