Two journalists still held, others arrested or attacked

first_img February 6, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders is alarmed by the growing hostility towards journalists in Egypt, especially after a statement by the State Information Service (SIS) on 17August inveighing against the foreign media’s coverage of the recent turmoil.More arrestsRWB condemns the many arrests of journalists during this past week and reminds the authorities that they have a duty to allow reporters to work in the best possible manner. In particular, Reporters Without Borders urges them to release Metin Turan, a reporter with the Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT), who has been held since 16 August, and Al-Jazeera reporter Abdallah Shami, held since 14 August. No formal charges have been brought against either of them.Turan was arrested by police at the same time as Hibe Zekeriya of the Anadolu news agency while covering a raid by the security forces on Al-Fath Mosque in Cairo’s Ramses Square on 16 August. Zekeriya subsequently managed to tell his agency by phone that they had been taken to Tora prison. She was finally released eight hours later, on 17 August, but Turan is still being held. A Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman said negotiations are under way to obtain his release.According to the Al-Jazeera website, Shami was transferred to Abu Zaabal prison yesterday, following his arrest on 14 August, and his detention was extended for 15 days, although he has not been charged.A France 2 crew consisting of reporter Dorothée Olliéric, cameraman Stéphane Guillemot, editor Arnaud Gidon and fixer Rime El-Fawal were arrested outside Al-Fath Mosque on 17 August and were held for 10 hours at an “intelligence” centre before being released.German freelance journalist Sebastian Backhaus was finally released on 16 August, 48 hours after being arrested in Cairo and held in a police station. News News August 19, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two journalists still held, others arrested or attacked Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution EgyptMiddle East – North Africa to go further Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information News News February 1, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Egypt Violence and intimidationReporters Without Borders also condemns the violence and intimidation to which Jared Malsin, who strings for Time Magazine and other media, and freelance photographer Cliff Cheney were subjected near Ramses Square on 16 August.In a report on the Time website , Malsin said he and Cheney were stopped by men armed with sticks, who took their cameras and slapped Malsin. Shortly thereafter, they recovered some of their equipment but another group then stopped them and took them to a garage, which they not allowed to leave for two hours because of the “security situation.”On 17 August, the interior ministry banned these self-proclaimed “popular committees,” which have been protecting their neighbourhoods from the Muslim Brotherhood by arming themselves, setting up roadblocks and controlling all those who want to pass.In an interview for France 2 on 18 August, Olliéric linked the intimidation and humiliation to which she and her crew were subjected to the growing resentment that Egyptians are displaying toward the international media.Most Egyptians “do not understand and cannot bear the international community’s criticism” of Gen. Al-Sissi’s strong action,” she said. By attacking the media, the Egyptians were sending a message, she added, they were saying: “Let us combat terrorism in our own way, and you just stay out of it.”The climate for journalists became even tenser on 17 August when the State Information Service issued a statement to the foreign media condemning their coverage of recent events.Ignoring the fact that three journalists have been killed many others have been attacked or arrested, the English-language statement said: “Egypt is feeling severe bitterness towards some western media coverage that is biased to the Muslim Brotherhood and ignores shedding light on violent and terror acts that are perpetrated by this group in the form of intimidation operations and terrorizing citizens.”When a journalist asked the interim president’s political adviser, Mostafa Hegazy, about the growing hostility towards the foreign media at a press conference later the same day, Hegazy responded by reiterating the government’s condemnation of the foreign media’s perceived bias.At the end of the news conference, journalists were given a press pack entitled “Egypt Fighting Terrorism 14th-16th August” containing photos and comments about the violence by deposed President Mohamed Morsi’s supporters. Organisation January 22, 2021 Find out more EgyptMiddle East – North Africa last_img read more

Delhi Victims Compensation Scheme Permits Grant Of Compensation In Case Of Custodial Deaths: DSLSA Tells Delhi High Court

first_imgNews UpdatesDelhi Victims Compensation Scheme Permits Grant Of Compensation In Case Of Custodial Deaths: DSLSA Tells Delhi High Court Akshita Saxena6 May 2021 2:05 AMShare This – xThe Delhi High Court on Tuesday directed the State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) to expeditiously process the application for compensation made by the widow of an alleged thief, who died in judicial custody. On being informed that the Delhi Victim Compensation Scheme, 2018 permits the grant of compensation in case of custodial deaths, a Single Bench of Justice Pratibha M. Singh ordered, “the DSLSA ought to process the Petitioner’s application, and prayer for compensation under the Delhi Victims Compensation Scheme, 2018… The DSLSA may put in motion the procedure for determining the compensation, considering the fact that the deceased lost his life in judicial custody.” It is made clear that a decision on this issue has to be taken by the Authority within a period of two weeks and has to be communicated to the Court on May 25. Background The instant petition was being filed by the wife of the deceased, an alleged thief, seeking compensation of Rs.1 crore for his custodial death. She submitted that the deceased was subjected to torture by the police and even the Metropolitan Magistrate had recorded that his physical condition was not good. However, he was remanded to judicial custody on the pretext that he was beaten up by the public, where he passed away the next day. During the course of hearing, the Court observed that the status report filed by the Delhi Government is “lacking materials particulars” and is “sketchy”. Moreover, it did not mention any policy, which the State has in respect of compensation in the event any undertrial passes away while in judicial custody. Therefore, notice was issued to Delhi State Legal Services Authority which submitted that the Delhi Victim Compensation Scheme, 2018, permits the grant of compensation in case of such deaths. The DSLSA stated that if there is a loss of life in judicial custody, the legal heirs/dependents of the deceased would be entitled to compensation, which would to a minimum of Rs.3 lakh and maximum of Rs.10 lakhs. The Authority further informed the Court that no application for compensation was received by it on behalf of the Petitioner. At this juncture, the Petitioner submitted that none of the documents relating to the deceased’s death in judicial custody were supplied to the Petitioner and hence, she was unable to claim compensation. The Court has now directed the Delhi Government to provide all documents pertaining to death of Petitioner’s husband, i.e. MLC, post mortem report and other documents such as charge sheet, trial records, etc., within one week, to enable the DSLSA to process the application. Case Title: Ruvee Parveen v. State of NCT of Delhi & Ors. Click Here To Download Order Read OrderTagsDelhi High Court Custodial Death Victim Compensation Scheme Delhi Legal Services Authority Next Storylast_img read more

Fletcher Allen affiliates with Ticonderoga hospital

first_imgFletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington and Inter-Lakes Health, Inc., in Ticonderoga, NY, have signed an affiliation agreement that will enable both organizations to work more closely together to meet the health care needs of the Ticonderoga community. Inter-Lakes Health is more commonly known by its historical name: Moses-Ludington Hospital.This formal affiliation builds on a strong foundation of collaboration between the two organizations. For many years, Fletcher Allen, Vermont’s academic medical center, and Inter-Lakes Health, a critical access hospital, have participated in a joint telemedicine program that allows health care providers in the Emergency Department at Inter-Lakes Health to consult with trauma care experts at Fletcher Allen on difficult trauma cases. More recently, Fletcher Allen has operated three clinics at Inter-Lakes Health – Cardiology, Dermatology and Neurology – staffed by Fletcher Allen physicians who travel to Ticonderoga on a monthly basis to see patients who need specialty care.With this new affiliation, there is a commitment to increase Fletcher Allen’s clinical collaboration with Inter-Lakes Health in areas such as Emergency Services to bring an even greater level of service to the hospital.“The leadership and board of directors of Inter-Lakes Health are excited to be affiliating with Fletcher Allen as we greatly appreciate the benefits of an academic medical center to our patients,” said Sandra R. Bolton, chairperson, Inter-Lakes Health Board of Directors. “We see this new partnership as a win-win for everyone involved.”“We at Fletcher Allen look forward to this new partnership, which will allow us to work together more closely with our friends at Inter-Lakes Health for the benefit of patients in the Ticonderoga area,” said Melinda Estes, M.D., president and chief executive officer at Fletcher Allen. “In this new era of health care reform, it is more important than ever that we collaborate and coordinate with other hospitals in the region to provide high-quality care to the people in the communities we serve. This aligns with Fletcher Allen’s vision, which is to be a national model for the delivery of high-quality academic health care for a rural region.”About Inter-Lakes HealthInter-lakes Health, formally known as Moses-Ludington Corporation, is a family of health services located in Ticonderoga, NY between Lake George and Lake Champlain in the Adirondack Mountains. Inter-lakes Health services patients from Essex, Warren and Washington Counties. The not-for-profit family members include Moses-Ludington Hospital, a 15-bed Critical Access Hospital, Heritage Commons Residential Health Care, a 84-bed nursing home, Moses-Ludington Adult Care, a 23-bed adult home, the Inter-Lakes Dental Clinic, and Lord Howe Estates, a 43-unit HUD Section 8 202 multi-family housing complex for low income elderly.Inter-Lakes Health is the sole provider of safety-net services for an area with a local resident population of 14,000 that welcomes approximately 15,000 additional summer residents, and we’re there for the estimated 200,000 summer tourists who pass through our corner of the mountains. Additionally, Inter-Lakes Health maintains working relationships with care providers from around the region to help support the community’s health needs.Our mission is to be a caring, community responsive health care partner that promotes wellness, individual dignity, and quality and value.It is our vision to facilitate a coordinated continuum of quality, cost-effective health services which include acute and emergency services, assessment and referral, primary care, long- term care, restorative services, education and community outreach. To learn more, please join us at www.interlakeshealth.com(link is external).About Fletcher AllenFletcher Allen Health Care, together with our partners at the University of Vermont College of Medicine and the College of Nursing and Health Sciences, is Vermont’s academic medical center. Our mission is to improve the health of the people in the communities we serve by integrating patient care, education and research in a caring environment. Fletcher Allen serves as a regional referral center — providing advanced care to approximately one million people in Vermont and northern New York — and as a community hospital for approximately 150,000 residents in Chittenden and Grand Isle counties.Fletcher Allen now has affiliations with three northern New York hospitals – Inter-Lakes Health (Ticonderoga, NY), Alice Hyde Medical Center (Malone, NY) and Canton-Potsdam Hospital (Potsdam, NY). With more than 30 patient care sites and 100 outreach clinics, programs and services throughout the region, Fletcher Allen is committed to being a national model for the delivery of high-quality academic health care for a rural region.Source: Fletcher Allen. 7.14.2010last_img read more

Lose against USA and we are out of the World Cup – Randy Abbey

first_imgGhana FA Executive Committee member Randy Abbey has warned that a defeat to USA in the opening game at the 2014 World Cup will spell doom for the Black Stars.“I think that the first game against USA is key and will go a long way to determine whether we will progress or not. I don’t hope for us to lose that game. It is a game we must win and I am positive minded we will win it”, the FA Executive Commitee member said.Ghana is making its third successive appearance at the World Cup finals to be hosted by Brazil.The Black Stars will kick off its campaign against U.S.A – a side Ghana has beaten twice in previous campaigns – on June 16 in Natal.Ghana will then follow up with tough games against Germany and Portugal in Group G.Many pundits believe three points off the board against USA is non-negotiable if the ambition of at least a semi final finish is to be achieved. “We need to win our first game, it is crucial. When we win that game it takes a lot of nerves off. It ensures we are a bit more relaxed and it motivates us to go out there and get good results in the other two games.””, the Ex.Co member agreed with pundits.Ghana were quarter finalists at the last World Cup in South Africa having made in impressive debut in the finals four years earlier in Germany.The current team under the direction of coach Kwesi Appiah hold the ambition of making it to the semi finals of the upcoming edition in Brazil.last_img read more

HyVee announces full-service fueling at its convenience stores

first_imgWEST DES MOINES — HyVee has announced they’ll now be offering free, full-service fueling at its more than 165 convenience stores located across its eight-state region that includes Iowa. A news release from HyVee says the service will be offered at select fuel pumps from at least 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM seven days a week. Customers on arrival who wish to use the service can select the pump’s “fuel help” button or call a designated phone number that can be found on signs at each pump. Food and items from the convenience store can also be ordered and delivered to customer vehicles using the service. Full-service fueling can be paid with cash or credit card, with employees meeting customers at their vehicle and being able to process the transaction and fuel order without the customer having to leave their vehicle. The statement says employees as an added safety measure will be wearing gloves for every customer transaction.last_img read more