LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply Reply Congresswoman Val Demings (D-Orlando) today criticized President Trump’s proposal to allow new oil drilling off the coast of Florida and California.Rep. Val DemingsSaid Rep. Demings, “I strongly oppose lifting the ban on offshore oil drilling around Florida, a move that could devastate our multi-billion-dollar tourism industry and natural environment. I also strongly oppose efforts to roll back safety and environmental rules put into place after Deepwater Horizon exploded, killing nearly a dozen people and causing untold devastation to our coasts and oceans.“The Deepwater Horizon accident proved definitively that offshore drilling has the potential to ravage our state’s ecosystems and economy. Last year I stood strongly with Florida representatives of both parties to oppose offshore drilling, and once again I call on the Trump administration to reconsider this reckless plan to enrich his oil industry friends at our expense.” Florida gas prices jump 12 cents; most expensive since 2014 UF/IFAS in Apopka will temporarily house District staff; saves almost $400,000 Jack Martin This woman is a joke. I expect her to rant about any thing trump supports.She mentions about a dozen were illed on the horizon. She needs to worry about a dozen people being killed in her District every week. Please enter your name here You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here January 6, 2018 at 8:26 pm Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Gov. DeSantis says new moment-of-silence law in public schools protects religious freedom From the Office of Rep. Val Demings Please enter your comment! 1 COMMENT Previous articleDistrict and UF complete collaborative three-year investigation into Florida springs’ healthNext articleNew Pew study says local TV news viewing dropping fast Denise Connell RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Organisation Reporters Without Borders draws the international community’s attention to the constant danger to which many media throughout the world are constantly exposed and calls on governments to ensure that threatened media and journalists are protected. RSF_en Help by sharing this information They include Uthayan in Sri Lanka, Express TV in Pakistan, Radio Shabelle in Somalia, Dosh in Russia and Radio Progreso in Honduras. They and many others are repeatedly threatened and attacked by media freedom’s enemies. In addition to their constant struggle to provide their fellow citizens with coverage of local developments, corruption cases or human rights violations, the journalists employed by these news outlets must also fight for their physical safety and the freedom to work in an independent manner.The predators of press freedom who threaten them have two things in common – a refusal to accept criticism and a readiness to use violence against their media critics. Nigeria, Pakistan and Somalia – government failures and militia terror In Pakistan and Nigeria, armed groups that terrorize the entire population repeatedly target journalists in both their propaganda and their armed actions. In Turkey, the newspaper Agos continues to pay a price for its commitment to human rights.In 2014, Pakistan’s Express Media group was the target of ten physical attacks, some with heavy weapons, and six of its employees were killed. Attacks on its journalists are often claimed by the militant group Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which does not hide the fact that it is trying to prevent coverage that reflects badly on its image.Express News TV journalists Raza Rumi and Jamshed Baghwan managed to escape murder attempt targeting them in early 2014, but Yaqoob Shehzad, Khalid Khan, Ashraf Yusuf and Waqas Aziz did not. They were gunned down in broad daylight by individuals who were never identified or caught.In the reign of terror imposed by the Islamist group Boko Haram in Nigeria, the media are exposed to the threat of suicide bombings and their journalists become the targets of reprisals if Boko Haram does not like their reporting or suspects them of working for the security forces.Channels TV’s correspondent in the northern city of Kano was killed in January 2012 while trying to interview the victims of a series of Boko Haram attacks in Kano. Nigeria Television Authority reporter Zakariya Isa was gunned down in 2011. Bomb attacks on several newspapers, including ThisDay, The Moment and The Daily Sun, in Abuja and Kaduna also bore Boko Haram’s hallmarks.Agos, a Istanbul-based bilingual weekly that defends the rights of Armenians and other minorities in Turkey despite the murder of its founder and editor Hrant Dink in 2007, is the constant target of threats and smear campaigns by a range of ultra-nationalist and fundamentalist groups. Its website is also the target of cyber-attacks.A tireless advocate of democracy and national reconciliation, Dink was convicted of “insulting Turkish identity” shortly before his murder. Agos cannot count on the police, who did nothing do protect Dink although they had information that his murder was being planned. Predator states – critics hounded, constant reprisals For many media, the main threat comes from state authorities, who often use intermediaries in civilian dress to harass or attack them.This is the case with Uthayan, a daily based in Jaffna, in northern Sri Lanka, which was the only Tamil-language newspaper to keep going throughout the 1983-2009 civil war between the Tamil Tiger separatists and the regular army. It has never stopped covering controversial subjects despite being the target of acts of violence carried out with police and military complicity. What with abduction of its journalists, death threats, attacks on its offices, forced closure, destruction of equipment and smear campaigns, there is little that Uthayan has not endured and it continues to pay high price for its frequent revelations about illegal activity by the government and armed forces.In Somalia, the authorities have succeeded where the Islamist militia Al-Shabaab failed, eliminating a major source of independent and outspoken local news coverage by closing Radio Shabelle on 15 August 2014 and jailing its editor, Mohamed Bashir Hashi, one of the country’s best known journalists.Harassment of the station’s journalists is not letting up. Although recently released, Shabelle Media Network owner Abdiimalik Yusuf Mohamud and Radio Shabelle editor-in-chief Ahmed Abdi Hassan are still charged with incitement to commit crimes and break the law and could be detained again at any time and tortured by the National Intelligence and Security Agency.In Honduras, Radio Progreso pays dearly for criticizing the 2009 military coup. The station’s director, Jesuit priest Ismael Moreno, says that 15 of his employees have received death threats, forcing the station to adopt security measures. The police threatened Isaac Leonardo Guevara Amaya, Radio Progreso’s correspondent in the northern city of Tela on 18 February 2013.Despite repeated requests from the Inter-American Court of Human Rights, the government continues to refuse to take measures to protect Radio Progreso’s employees, one of whom, Carlos Mejía Orellana, was murdered at his home on 11 April 2014 after several death threats.Instead of addressing Radio Progreso’s urgent security needs, the authorities continue to gag its journalists and one of them, Albertina Manueles Pérez, has been the subject of judicial proceedings since June 2014 for an alleged act of sedition against internal security.Dosh must take risks to be only independent magazine covering political and social developments throughout the Russian Caucasus, a region prey to abuses by the security forces, an Islamist insurrection and widespread corruption. Since creating Dosh in 2003, Chechen journalists Israpil Shovkhalov and Abdulkhazhi Duduyev have been the targets of anonymous threats and constant surveillance. Members of their families have also been threatened and physically attacked.Dosh’s courageous local reporters are also under threat and one of them, Timur Kuashev, was murdered in Nalchik, the capital of the autonomous Kabardino-Balkar Republic, on 1 August 2014. When interviewed by Dosh’s reporters, many people refuse to give their name for fear of reprisals. Urgent need for security News In November 2014, Reporters Without Borders urged the international community to appoint a special adviser to the UN secretary-general to ensure effective implementation of a new General Assembly resolution on the safety of journalists.Building on a resolution adopted in December 2013, the new resolution reaffirmed the concept of journalism as an activity that includes not only professional reporters but also “private individuals” and “a range of organizations.” It also reaffirmed the obligation to protect journalists in both wartime and peacetime, condemned the increase in attacks on journalists worldwide, and urged governments to do more to combat impunity for acts of violence against journalists.A total of 66 journalists were killed in 2014, bringing the overall number of journalists killed in connection with their work in the past decade to 720. January 16, 2015 – Updated on January 25, 2016 These media are under constant threat
Owners of The Forum concert venue issued a sharp rebuke to the Inglewood City Council for its sudden decision Thursday to negotiate a new basketball arena with the Los Angeles Clippers.A scathing letter from an attorney representing the owners was delivered Thursday morning, when council members met and approved the deal in a special meeting. It complained negotiations were made “without a shred of public notice or public process.”Inglewood City Hall publicly noticed the meeting’s agenda, listing the proposed state-of-the-art arena on a 20-acre site just south of the NFL stadium, the day before.Council members then swiftly approved the item Thursday morning. The deal is secured with a $1.5 million payment to the city. Inglewood Mayor James Butts fired back that the complaint from Madison Square Garden Co. was unwarranted.“Big deals are not discussed until there is something to discuss,” Butts said in an email. “Now that there is a commitment of interest, (there’s) plenty of time to engage the community if we decide it necessary. (This is the) same process we did for MSG and the Forum. In fact, for the Forum, there was no community stakeholder outreach.”Madison Square Garden Co. bought the Forum in 2014, and did a major renovation of the venue, built in 1967. The remodeled 17,800-seat facility is now the most popular concert venue in the state and second in the nation.It was home to the Lakers and Kings until they relocated to Staples Center in 1999 with the Clippers, who had been playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. The Forum was sold to Faithful Central Bible Church the following year. The new arena would also be a neighbor to the 298-acre entertainment complex and $2.6 billion NFL stadium under construction for the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers. It’s set to open in 2020 at the former Hollywood Park Racetrack, which shut down in 2013.‘Right to object’Mihlsten’s letter indicates that the owners of the Forum are considering a lawsuit.“The proposed Exclusive Negotiating Agreement action fails to comply with requirements of law with regard to use of eminent domain,” the letter states. “The Forum reserves all rights to object.”Butts said he’s not yet sure whether the city will use its power of eminent domain — forcing a private owner to sell property — to make way for the development.Whether a new arena for the Clippers would also host concerts would be a major concern to the owners of the Forum.“The design of the stadium has not been conceptualized. It could be built to accommodate concerts, but that has not been decided,” Butts said. “An environmental impact report will be done. We have not committed or decided on eminent domain yet. We need to see the scope of the project.” “To our knowledge this action was done without the courtesy of any substantive discussions with the Inglewood community or, for that matter, our client,” states the letter, written by George Mihlsten, a land-use attorney for The Madison Square Garden Co. “The proposed project is inconsistent with the city’s General Plan and zoning and violates numerous agreements and requirements of law.”Negotiations with San Francisco-based SPI Holdings and its subsidiary, Murphy’s Bowl, can now proceed for the next three years on an 18,000- to 20,000-seat arena for the Clippers near Century Boulevard and Yukon Avenue. A potential six-month extension is included.Clippers owner Steve Ballmer wants to move the NBA team from the Staples Center, which is shared with the Los Angeles Lakers and Kings, to a new state-of-the-art facility. The team’s Los Angeles lease is up in 2024. ‘Plenty of time’ Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error