BMW has announced the arrival of a new concept car. The BMW Group will present a design study at this year’s Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este on May 26, 2017 which provides an exclusive look ahead to the BMW 8 Series Coupe slated for 2018. The concept car embodies uncompromising dynamics and contemporary luxury – the essence of a modern BMW coupe.Harald Krueger, Chief Executive, BMW Group said, “The BMW 8 Series Coupe will build on our tradition of luxurious sports coupes and add a genuine dream car to our line-up – a slice of pure automotive fascination.”Krueger added, “The 8 Series Coupe will underpin our claim to leadership in the luxury segment. I can tell you today that this will be a true luxury sports coupe.”Watch this space for more information.ALSO READ:BMW brings the M Performance Training Program to IndiaALSO READ:BMW Motorrad globally reveals the R 1200 GS xDrive Hybrid with all-wheel drive ALSO READ:BMW appoints Shivapada Ray as head of BMW Motorrad in India
Newly-crowned Denmark Open champion Kidambi Srikanth will look to carry on his fine form into the French Open this week when he spearheads the Indian challenge at the Super Series tournament, starting in Paris on Tuesday.25-year-old Srikanth has been in sensational form this season as he became the first Indian shuttler to reach four Super Series finals in a year, clinching three titles to surpass Saina Nehwal, who had claimed three crowns in 2010.Srikanth, who decimated Korean veteran Lee Hyun II in a lop-sided final last evening at Odense, will open his campaign against England’s Rajiv Ouseph, who had reached the quarterfinals at Denmark Open last week.The man from Guntur might face Hong Kong’s Wong Wing Ki Vincent, who he had beaten in the semifinals at Odense, in the second round here.Olympic and World Championship silver medallist PV Sindhu, who had bowed out in the opening round of Denmark Open last week after losing to World No 10 Chen Yufei, will square off against Spain’s Beatriz Corrales in the opening round.The Indian might face off again with Chen in the quarters.London Games bronze medallist Saina, who had defeated Olympic champion Carolina Marin in the opening round at Denmark, will face a tough test when she faces Kristy Gilmour of Scotland, whom the Indian had beaten in the World Championship.Among others in men’s singles, B Sai Praneeth, who had lost in the opening round last week, will look to make amends when he faces Thailand’s Khosil Phetpradab in the first round and is likely to face former World No 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia in the second round.advertisementH S Prannoy, who had beaten Chong Wei to reach the quarters at Odense, will start his campaign against Denmark finalist Lee Hyun and would look to continue his consistent run.Parupalli Kashyap, who failed to make the main draw last week, will face Fabian Roth in the qualifying round tomorrow.Meanwhile, Ajay Jayaram, Verma brothers — Sourabh and Sameer — have all withdrawn due to fitness issues.Men’s doubles pair of Manu Atri and B Sumeeth Reddy and young combo of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty will also look to put best foot forward after opening round defeats.Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy had put up a gallant effort before losing in the first round at Odense and they too will hope for a good result this week.Mixed doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Sikki, who lost in the opening round after being in the receiving end of a series of service fault calls, will also look for a better result this week.
The federal government says hiding the names of job applicants had no significant effect on whether those who identified as visible minorities were called in for an interview over a six-month period.A pilot project launched last April by the Public Service Commission of Canada sought to compare the results of traditional screening methods with name-blind recruitment in order to bolster diversity and inclusion in government ranks.The practice involves removing names and other identifying information such as country of origin from job applications to fight bias against people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.In a report released this week, the commission says there was no significant difference for candidates from visible minority groups when their personal information was concealed.It also says applicants from all other groups were less likely to be brought in for an interview under that system compared to a traditional method.The commission notes that the results can’t be generalized to the entire public service because the pilot relied on departments that volunteered and used a non-random selection of external hiring processes.The project included 27 external job postings across 17 departments between April and October of last year, resulting in a sample of 2,226 candidates, of which 685 self-identified as visible minorities.The report is “just one of the many ways the PSC is exploring innovative approaches to ensure a diverse and representative workforce while supporting bias-free recruitment within the federal public service,” Patrick Borbey, president of the Public Service Commission of Canada, said in a statement.“We will continue to push boundaries in this area while maintaining the integrity of the federal public service’s non-partisan and merit-based staffing system.”The government said it will conduct audit work beginning in May to look at the success rate of applicants at key stages of the appointment process. It will also examine how name-blind principles could be included in the design of future technology changes to its recruitment systems.The report said audits have the advantage of analysing decisions that have already been made, which eliminates the possibility that people might change their behaviour because they know they are part of a pilot project.The federal government has said there is no evidence of bias in its current hiring practices.A 2012 study by University of Toronto researchers found job applicants with English-sounding names were 35 per cent more likely to receive a call back than those with Indian or Chinese names, which they said suggested an unconscious bias.Many orchestras made the switch to blind auditions, in which musicians play hidden by a screen, in the 1970s and 1980s, which led to a dramatic increase in the number of women hired, studies have shown.