NewsHealthPoliticsLimerick TDs ask for collective community response to reduce COVID-19 impactBy Cian Reinhardt – March 18, 2020 213 Limerick health chiefs urge public not to withhold information on virus contacts, as they investigate “complex and serious outbreaks” across midwest region WhatsApp TDs Maurice Quinlivan, Sinn Féin, Willie O’Dea, Fianna Fáil, Kieran O’Donnell, Fine Gael, and Brian Leddin, Green Party said, “This means staying apart from people: avoiding social contact where possible, and where unavoidable, keeping 2 metres or just over 6 feet apart.”The group of sitting TDs urged the public to wash their hands regularly for 20 seconds, and urged everyone to slow the spread of the virus to help Ireland’s health professionals.“Our health professionals are prepared to work around the clock. We need to assist them by slowing the spread of the virus.“Despite the measures taken by us all in Limerick to date – the COVID-19 crisis will get worse before it gets better. Our response as a community will determine the impact.” The statement noted the politicians had been contacted by people in Limerick’s communities over the past number of weeks “concerned and worried for yourselves and for your loved ones”.“We have a duty of care towards the most vulnerable in our community,” the statement reads, adding, “This could be one of the most difficult crises that Limerick has ever seen. If we work together we can and will get through it.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Institute of Public Health addresses loneliness as a challenge to national health in light of Covid-19 restrictions Advertisement TAGSCoronavirusCovid 19healthLimerick City and CountyNews LIMERICK City’s Dáil Eireann representatives have said our “collective response” to the COVID-19 coronavirus will help in reducing the impact of the virus. Government announces phased easing of public health restrictions “We commend the nurses, doctors, ambulance service members and all the staff working in our health service who are dealing with an unprecedented challenge. Thank you for your selfless service at this extraordinary time,” it concluded. Linkedin Mass COVID testing to take place at University of Limerick following fresh outbreak of virus among student population Facebook “We will save lives if we follow the advice of health professionals and practice social distancing,” the TDs said in a joint statement this week. Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Post Show | Careers & Health Sciences Event for TY Students Covid antibody testing opens to public at Shannon Airport Previous articleJunior Rugby Fixture Calendar in DisarrayNext articleLimerick-based pharmaceutical company announces advances in coronavirus anti-body programme Cian Reinhardthttp://www.limerickpost.ieJournalist & Digital Media Coordinator. Covering human interest and social issues as well as creating digital content to accompany news stories. [email protected] Twitter Print
Shortage of masksDr Razafindranazy died on Saturday in a hospital in the northern city of Lille, with his son paying an emotional tribute to him on Facebook.”He was passionate about his work and chose not to retire. He has left a family behind him who will never forget him,” he added.The family also warned that “this illness is extremely serious and must not be taken lightly”.Marini said Dr Razafindranazy “would soon have been 68” and had treated some of the first cases in the Oise department, the first area in France to be badly hit by COVID-19.He was infected in early March, the mayor added.A quarter of the more than 7,200 people now in hospital with the virus are in intensive care.Veran said many medical staff who contract the virus could in fact be getting infected outside of their work, while adding that protection for frontline staff was “absolutely indispensable”.But doctors and nurses were losing patience, with the Frederic Adnet, the head of an emergency department at Seine-Saint-Denis in the northern suburbs of Paris, saying supplies of protective clothing were clearly under strain.”We know we are exposed,” he told French television. “We know a number of us are going to contract it and there will be a price to pay… with protective gear cruelly lacking.” Calls for curfew His wife, a family doctor, is now also sick with the virus and has been quarantined at home.Dr Razafindranazy’s death came as controversy raged over a shortage of protective gear for medical staff in some parts of France.Despite Health Minister Olivier Veran saying more than 250 million masks had been ordered, some doctors and nurses have complained that they have had to do without.The French government is also under pressure from doctors’ unions to impose a total nationwide curfew.The northeast city of Mulhouse, where French soldiers have already set up a military field hospital to help hospital staff overwhelmed by the number of cases, declared its own curfew from Sunday night from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am.Some other cities, including Nice and Perpignan, have already imposed their own curfews.With authorities expected to extend the lockdown beyond the end of March, doctors want it tightened to “at a minimum” stopping people going out to jog or exercise. Parliament toughened fines for people who break the current confinement measures late Saturday. Repeat offenders now face six months in prison and a fine of 3,700 euros (US$3,950).And on Sunday it declared a health emergency in the country, granting greater powers to the government to fight the pandemic. The first French doctor battling the coronavirus has died as the death toll in the country spiraled to 674 Sunday.With the outbreak spreading to eight regions — and 112 more dying in a single day — authorities admitted their count does not include those who died at home and in old people’s homes.”We are looking at an epidemic that is widening and escalating,” the head of the health service Jerome Salomon said. Mayor Philippe Marini said that Madagascar-born Jean-Jacques Razafindranazy “came back to work voluntarily to treat people and knew he was taking a risk”. With hospitals flooded with 7,240 victims, the military are having to transfer some from the worst-hit areas.”The virus kills and it is continuing to kill,” Salomon added.The 67-year-old emergency room medic who died worked at Compiegne hospital, north of Paris, the town’s mayor told AFP.He was hailed as a hero by his family for coming back from holiday to treat the first major outbreak in the country. Topics :
Topics : His reason behind investing in Oxford United was because he believed in the club’s values. “Oxford [has] good branding [with] 130 years [as an organization]. [It is] a good community. We thought that it is quite exciting to invest along with a couple of Southeast Asian investors, some from Thailand, [and] some from Vietnam.”“Thus, starting with a club that plays in a third-tier league is a nice start for us. We could learn on how to manage a club, learn from its ups and down. From here, supporting our club so it could make it through to the second-tier league, the English Championship League, is already a huge challenge, let alone […] taking your club to the Premier League, the Holy Grail of soccer tournaments.” For Emmanuel Lestarto “Wandi” Wanandi and Anindya Bakrie, third-generation leaders at Indonesian conglomerates and stakeholders of third-tier English soccer clubs Tranmere Rovers and Oxford United respectively, having good relations with club owners is vital for shaping the future of the clubs they have each invested in.Speaking at a webinar held by the British Chamber of Commerce (Britcham) in Indonesia recently, Wandi, one of the directors of the Santini Group, said he was very lucky to have Mark Palios, chairman of Tranmere Rovers, as his business partner.“It was a very quick connection and quick decision between me and Mark. We started in April last year and we became investors in August. I didn’t know Tranmere before because it was in league 2, the fourth tier in English soccer, last year,” he said. “Even though we are minority [shareholders], we chat every day. We discuss things. We have already planned for the future.”When interviewed by The Jakarta Post last year, Palios praised the Indonesian investor for taking the risk to help the club, which was in need of some financial assistance. He said a series of programs were being considered, such as sending Indonesian players to the league so they could work on their skills and mentality. Besides sending players abroad, building a soccer school in Indonesia was also a possibility, Mark added.Liverpool-based Tranmere Rovers, which was promoted to League One last year, found itself being relegated to the fourth-tier league as it stood in the 21st position when the English soccer authorities decided to put an end to the 2019-2020 seasons of League One and League Two on June 9 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.Anindya, the oldest son of senior Golkar Party politician Aburizal Bakrie, said that one should look at the values offered by a soccer club before deciding to jump into the water.