Community thanks 4-H for impact on students

first_img Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Email the author Published 10:20 pm Monday, October 7, 2019 “Also, there were enrichment programs for ninth-graders at Charles Henderson High School and Community Clubs for students ages nine-18. Twenty-three students attended 4-H Summer Camp.”Students from all clubs had opportunities to participate in Pig Pen, Pig Sequel, Cackle Club, Chick Chain and Rabbit projects.“In addition to these clubs, there was a high school club at Pike Liberal Arts School, a special needs club at Charles Henderson High School and enrichment programs for the Agriculture Academy at Goshen High School have been planned,” Dodson said. You Might Like Participation in 4-H is at an all-time high and is active in 50 percent of Alabama schools. Last year, the program delivered in-school, after-school and enrichment programming in 729 schools to 134,845 youth. An additional 44,039 young people participated in out-of-school 4-H clubs, camps and educational programs.  Total 4-H club membership up 11 percent to 51,217. Total 4-H clubs up 43 percent to 3,111. Overnight camping is up 4 percent to 3,810. Membership in community clubs up 27 percent. Members in military and after-school clubs up 3,243 from 2,870 and enrollment in grades 7-12 up 26 percent to 52,735.“In addition, Alabama 4-H is supporting workforce needs now and in the future,” Gregg said. “Alabama 4-H provides fun opportunities and rewarding experiences that have young people returning year-after-year. It seeks to empower them with the skills to lead their communities and also grow into future leaders.”For more information about Pike County 4-H Clubs call 334-566-0985. Pioneer Days set for Oct. 11-12 The Pioneer Museum of Alabama will come alive next weekend as guests will be transported back in time to life… read more Book Nook to reopen Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration In communities across Alabama, signs are popping up in yards, store fronts and boulevards that say “Thank You, 4-H!”  It’s part of a statewide effort to recognize the lasting impact 4-H has on young people.Selina Dodson, 4-H Foundation Regional Extension Agent, said 4-H is the largest youth organization in Alabama with more than 178,000 young people participating in the program last year.“Pike County has a long history of 4-H programming. Last year, Pike County 4-H delivered in-school and enrichment programming to all students in grades four through six in Pike County,” Dodson said. There were 4-H Clubs in the seventh- and eighth-grades at Charles Henderson Middle School and Pike Liberal Arts School. Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day The benefits of 4-H are far reaching. The program is available to young people in every county in the state.“It has been found that young people in 4-H are four times more likely to give back to their communities, two times more likely to make healthier choices and two times more likely to participate in STEM activities,” said Molly Gregg, Alabama Cooperative Extension System assistant director for 4-H.“Also, 4-H prepares young people for life as citizens and leaders in their communities. This week, communities are saying thank you to a program that creates so many positive opportunities for young people, she said.“The growth of Alabama 4-H reflects its commitment to empowering young people. The 4-H program offers hands-on experiential learning in animal science, art, healthy living, leadership and citizenship, outdoor education and also science and technology.” Latest Stories Sponsored Content The Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies… Community thanks 4-H for impact on students By The Penny Hoarder By Jaine Treadwell Print Article Around the WebMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Blood Sugar BlasterIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthBest 13 Fortnite Skins That You NeedTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancellast_img read more

Serial rapist Nathan Loebe convicted in Pima County, Arizona, after testing of rape kit backlog

first_imgABC News(TUSCON) — A Tucson man was convicted of raping seven women over a 12-year period after police received a grant to test rape kits and changed a “mindset” over which kits get tested.“The old view was if you have a situation where the victim reported it was without consent but the defendant or suspect reported that it was with consent and there was nothing to corroborate either way, there was the idea that maybe it wasn’t worth testing the sexual assault kit because it doesn’t show consent versus lack of consent,” Nicol Green, deputy attorney for Pima County, told ABC News.Green, along with deputy attorney Tracy Miller, prosecuted the case against Nathan Loebe, who was found guilty on 12 counts of sexual assault, five counts of kidnapping, three counts of stalking and one count of attempted sexual assault, according to the Associated Press, for cases that occurred between 2003 and 2015.“Victims reported that they met a man in a bar or through an online dating site. He provided false names and lied about who he was,” Pima County Attorney’s Office wrote on Facebook. “Most of the victims reported that they had drinks with the man, and then they either lost consciousness or became incapacitated. The man then sexually assaulted them.”Loebe had previously been a suspect in sexual assault cases, according to the Arizona Daily Star, but claimed sexual activity had occurred with consent.It wasn’t until law enforcement started following the “forklift approach” of testing every rape kit regardless of investigation details that they were able to build a case against Loebe.“Quite frankly it was a mindset in law enforcement and prosecution in terms of the decision to test a particular sexual assault case looking at that case specifically rather than the big picture,” Green said. “As is often the case in law enforcement, as time goes on, ideas and priorities shift, and the recognition that this is a way to identify serial rapists kind of took hold.”Pima County Attorney Barbara LaWall began prioritizing the testing of rape kits in 2014, Green said, and the attorney’s office worked with Tucson Police to get ahead of a growing backlog.In 2015, the Tucson Police Department received a $1 million grant from the Manhattan District Attorney’s office in New York, which funded a project to support the testing of rape kit backlogs from settlements with international banks that violated U.S. sanctions.That grant funded the testing of about 1,450 cases, according to Green, as well as a dedicated detective at Tucson Police and a victim advocate who worked out of the attorney’s office. Additional state funding is accounting for remaining kits’ testing — approximately 500 — so essentially all kits from the backlog are either already tested or in the process of being tested.Rape kits collect evidence from a victim’s body and clothing after an assault, including potential DNA evidence. When DNA evidence is found, it is entered into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS, to see if there is a match to a person with a past offense and to identify serial offenders.Of those 1,450 kits funded by the grant, 839 DNA profiles have been entered into CODIS, Green said, and there have been 364 hits to people who have been convicted or arrested for certain felonies.“It’s grueling,” Dallas Wilson, the detective who has been working on these cases at Tucson Police, told ABC News. “We have approximately 400 cases that need to be re-investigated that go back from 1988 to 2016.”There is no statute of limitations for sexual assault in Arizona, and Wilson says these cases are “completely different than any other investigation” as law enforcement is reopening investigations from the start, which is “like opening up a wound all over again” for many victims.Loebe’s DNA was in the system from prior convictions, and “his DNA profile came up within the first month of [grant] testing on more than one kit,” Green said.Tuscon police started searching for him in January 2017, and Loebe was arrested in Kentucky in connection with an alleged sexual assault a month later. As part of his assaults, Loebe allegedly impersonated former child star Brian Bonsall from the ’80s sitcom “Family Ties,” Bardstown Police said at the time.Loebe, who was also wanted in Colorado, Massachusetts and Ohio, was extradited to Tucson, Tucson News Now reported in August 2017, adding that the Kentucky charges were dropped.Nine women testified against Loebe in trial, said Green, who praised “their strength and bravery” and added that “they got justice that was long, long overdue, and as a prosecutor, that feels really, really good.”Five years after starting work on Pima County’s rape kit backlog, Green said it’s “fabulous” to see a result like this.“It’s a good feeling,” Wilson said. “We still have a lot more work to do, though.”Loebe is scheduled for a sentencing hearing on April 22.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

2 Chinese men plead guilty to photographing US Navy base Posted

first_imgAccording to court records, two Chinese men have pleaded guilty to illegally taking photographs at a Florida Navy base.24-year-old Jielun Zhang and Yuhao Wang, pleaded guilty on Tuesday in Key West federal court.Zhang, and Wang were charged with illegally photographing a U.S. defense installation, and they each face a year in prison plus a $100,00 fine.Since 2018, four Chinese nationals have been caught taking pictures of Key West military bases.last_img