St Vincent man jailed for molesting 12 year-old step daughter

first_imgA 52-year-old man has been sentenced to 39-years in jail for having sex with his 12-year-old stepdaughter. The judge said he had taken advantage of a child who looked up to him as a father figure and also depended on him for economic assistance.Justice Brian Cottle said the aggravating features of the crime far outweighed the mitigating factors and he only reason he would not impose consecutive jail terms on the convicted man, whose name has not been released, was because of the man’s age.He sentenced the man to 12 years on each of the three counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and three years for indecent assault.The man had been convicted of the offenses on March 15 and when he came up for sentencing on last Tuesday, Crown Counsel Sejilla McDowall said breach of trust was a major aggravating factor in the case.She noted that the man operated as a father figure in the girl’s life, adding that the case included elements of sexual advantage. The prosecutor said the man had the economic advantage in that the girl had little means.She told the court that while he offered the girl food and money, he did so specifically when sex occurred.In passing sentence, Justice Cottle said the child told the man she would report his crimes to her mother and he had told her to go ahead asking her what can her mother could do about it.“There is something the State can do,” the judge said, adding that unfortunately, he is constrained to follow the guidance of the Court of Appeal.last_img read more

City of Sunrise Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday, May 27

first_imgThe City of Sunrise will host a Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday, May 27, at 9:00 a.m. in the Sunrise Civic Center Theatre (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard).Join us in honoring our fallen U.S. military service personnel. The ceremony will include a wreath placement, distinguished speakers, music, light refreshments, and the presentation of colors. Call (954) 746-3670 for more information.The City’s administrative offices and the Sunrise Senior Center will be closed in observance of Memorial Day. However, Leisure Services facilities (including parks) will follow their regular operating schedule, and there will be no interruption to garbage, recycling or bulk trash collection.last_img

Juventus Completes €20m Matuidi Signing

first_imgJuventus has completed the signing of former Paris Saint-Germain combative midfielder, Blaise Matuidi, for  €20million.The 30-year-old Frenchman penned a three-year deal with the Turin club. Blaise Matuidi, who joined PSG from Saint-Étienne in 2011,  spent six trophy-laden years at PSG, winning four Ligue 1 titles, five Super Cup crowns, four League Cups and three French Cups. More to follow shortly…Relatedlast_img

188BET extends partnership with champion jockey Silvestre de Sousa

first_img Kenneth Alexander: Industry’s regulatory future is in-play as live sport resumes June 15, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles 188BET has announced that it will extend its sponsorship agreement with 2017 Champion Jockey Silvestre De Sousa.The Brazilian flat racing jockey has created a substantial lead over his closest competitors this season, having run over 150 winners he will officially claim the title of Britain’s champion jockey for 2017 on British Champions Day at Ascot this Saturday. The 36 year old is widely regarded as one of British racing’s most cherished characters having only started racing at the age of 18.188BET’s Managing Director, Nigel Singer said: “Everybody at 188BET would like to congratulate Silvestre on his fantastic achievement of becoming Champion Jockey for 2017.  The accolade is rich reward for the commitment shown by him throughout the year. “I am also pleased to announce we will extend our sponsorship agreement with Silvestre into the 2018 flat racing season. He carries with him the best wishes of all at 188BET for another successful season.”     188BET has a long association with sport having been involved with horse racing, football, rugby league, cricket and snooker for many years. The online betting operator is currently the primary sponsor of Super League team and World Club Champions the Wigan Warriors. Furthermore, the deal with De Sousa affirms 188BET’s continued commitment to horseracing as a key product, the operator currently offers best odds on all UK Irish horse races, as well as selected daily price boosts. Sportech highlights new client wins under lockdown June 26, 2020 Share Submit Share HBLB ups prize money commitment by 50% July 31, 2020last_img read more

The ASA rules that Paddy Power must cease broadcasting casino advert

first_imgShare Bookies Corner: Trump Presidency sinks as US 2020 enters its 100 day countdown July 29, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Related Articles Paddy Power raises awareness of Missing People with Motherwell ‘silhouette’ stand August 7, 2020 Submit The UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), has ordered Paddy Power to cease the use of its latest casino advert, after complaints were received that it implied that it was acceptable to gamble in the workplace.The advert, which received two complaints in total, was revolved around a casino security guard who sings to the tune of “Papa Loves Mambo” whilst playing on Paddy Power Casino on his mobile device. Paddy Power’s defence of the advert was that it hadn’t breached the BCAP Code, because whilst in song the security guard clearly states that he’s on a break, a line that the operator stated was ‘deliberately’ accompanied by the main character turning away from his screen to indicate that he was no longer working. Nonetheless, despite noting there is an exception to the ASA code which condones featuring gambling in a working environment, for advert featuring licensed gambling premises. The ASA deemed that “the exception did not extend to allowing the depiction of licensed premises staff gambling in their own working environment.” Therefore, the advert did breach two codes, one which condones normalising gambling in working environments and one which condones encouraging gambling behaviour that is socially irresponsible or could lead to financial, social or emotional harm. Following the ruling The ASA ordered that Paddy Power cease broadcasting the advert in question and ensure that future ads don’t feature gambling in a working environment.last_img read more

Scout Gaming enters Brazil through Jogajà deal

first_img Scout Gaming has entered the Brazilian market after signing a deal to provide start-up operator Jogajà with its full fantasy sports platform.Jogajà, whose Scout Gaming-powered platform is expected to launch during the first half of 2019, is backed by Swedish venture capitalists with experience of working in Brazil. The product range will be boosted by the inclusion of local leagues.The Jogajà team will be led by Jacob Lindorff, an industry executive who has worked for the likes of Expekt, Betway and Bonnier Gaming, where he served as CMO between April 2011 and July 2014.Lindorff said: “Fantasy Sports has experienced a strong global growth with US as a leading market. The Brazilian sports betting market is the largest in South America therefore we see great potential for daily fantasy sports. Together with our partners, media companies and influencers, we will launch the coming spring and have high ambitions for the product.”Scout Gaming CEO Andreas Ternström added: “We continue to build our global network and are excited about entering South America. We are experiencing a global increasing interest in Fantasy Sports gradually.”Brazil has already made today’s industry news on SBC Americas for a bill which, if passed, would authorise the opening of resort hotels with casinos across the country. According to the proposals, states with a population of 15 million or less would be permitted to open one casino, while states with populations between 15 million and 25 million would have two. Only São Paolo, with its 45 million inhabitants, would qualify for a third. Belgian Pro League live betting streaming deal for Stats Perform August 21, 2020 Related Articles Submit StumbleUpon Share Share ESI Digital – No Drama Please… Esports growth should be treated as business as usual  August 20, 2020 Brazil appoints agencies to accelerate Sports Betting launch August 21, 2020last_img read more

Football kick-off sees Paddy Power debut ‘Pitch Invader’ magazine

first_img Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season  August 21, 2020 Paddy Power raises awareness of Missing People with Motherwell ‘silhouette’ stand August 7, 2020 Share Seeking to engage football matchday audiences, Paddy Power marketing has revealed that it plans to launch ‘Pitch Invader’, the bookmaker’s free football magazine, ahead of this weekend’s start of English Premier League season ( Friday 9 August).Working in collaboration with UK publishing group Reach Plc, Paddy Power is set to circulate 1.2 million free copies of Pitch Invader, across English football grounds.The 48-page magazine, which will be further made available across Paddy Power betting shops this August, will feature a different football figurehead on its cover dependent on the location of distribution.Pitch Invader cover stars include Wolves and Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy, former Manchester United captain Paul Ince and former Arsenal and France World Cup winner Emmanuel Petit.Paddy Power marketing has confirmed that at present the bookmaker only holds plans to launch one football magazine title this season which will support its ongoing high impact ‘Save our Shirt’ football club campaign which hit national headlines this summer.Becoming ‘Principal Partner’ of Huddersfield FC, Paddy Power would forgo its spot at the front of the Championship football club’s shirt, launching its Save our Shirt’ campaign, urging football to drop betting as a sponsor.Paddy Power has since added Motherwell, Newport County, Southend United and Macclesfield Town to its “unsponsoring” football mandate, with the bookmaker further launching new viral campaigns (see below) promoting its betting responsibility initiatives. Related Articles StumbleUpon Share Submitlast_img read more

Matt Hancock publicly defends Cheltenham Festival decision

first_img Related Articles HBLB gives £3.2m boost to UK racing August 13, 2020 UK Racing pushes for drastic levy reforms as deep recession looms August 25, 2020 Share Health Secretary Matt Hancock has publicly defended the decision to allow Cheltenham Festival to take place, reiterating that the government ‘took the right measures at the right time’.Speaking on a phone-in on LBC Radio, Hancock was asked by a Cheltenham resident whether the festival should have taken place and whether the government would be committing to a future inquiry of its strategy of handling the outbreak.Hancock, whose constituency includes Newmarket, said: “There will be time for a review of [the science], won’t there? And I have absolutely no doubt the sort of review called for will happen, and quite rightly as we need to learn in case there are future pandemics like this.“We followed the scientific advice and were guided by that science. Broadly, I think we took the right measures at the right time. We were ahead of many other countries in Europe in terms of when we took the measures and that’s what you’ve got to do in these circumstances, acting with imperfect information as we are all the way through it and learning.”The decision for the four-day festival to go ahead has attracted wide-ranging criticism of the government and UK racing, with critics suggesting that the event had contributed to the spread of the virus across the UK and Ireland.Earlier this month, the government’s deputy Chief Medical Officer, Angela McLean, called for an inquiry to take place once the lockdown has ended, focusing upon the ‘epidemiological consequences’ of UK sports maintaining their early March schedules.This April, British Horseracing Authority (BHA) CEO Nick Rust backed the decision to go ahead with the Festival, emphasising that the decision had been made in accordance with information provided by the government.Rust said: “All of the Government’s scientific advice, and indeed that of the chief medical officers within the BHA and RCA (Racecourse Association), was that based on all the advice on all the Government advice and based on where we were that Cheltenham could go ahead.“There were massive calls to listen to Government advice, don’t move away from that Government advice, there is no reason why you should not be carrying on and you must carry on because we need to make sure Government advice is followed.” Share StumbleUpon Submit On-course bookmakers return to UK courses in two-week trial August 17, 2020last_img read more

Cross-party think-tank calls for £100 monthly limit on gambling

first_imgShare Cross-party think-tank The Social Market Foundation (SMF) has called for further ‘protective regulation’ of wagering limits to be rolled out, advising regulators that gamblers should be limited to betting ‘£100 each month until they pass more stringent checks‘.Reported by the Financial Times, the think tank claims that it is ‘inevitable that gamblers will sometimes spend more than they can afford’. To combat this, SMF suggested that new measures should be introduced to prevent vulnerable individuals from chasing their debts via gambling.This suggestion has come under criticism from industry figures, however, citing concerns over whether intrusive checks could infringe upon an individuals’ right to choose how they spend their money.Dan Waugh, a sector analyst at Regulus Partners, stated that new limits on spending amounted to a ‘radical and intrusive approach to affordability and one that risks being accompanied by downwards only reviews’.The report suggested that ‘£23 per week – or approximately £100 a month‘ – was a ‘socially acceptable’ betting limit for lower socioeconomic households. It further suggested that betting companies should then request proof of a customer’s financial situation by using tax returns, wage slips and credit checks if they wish to gamble more.The data would then be passed on to the ‘gambling ombudsman’ and made accessible to gambling operators to prevent problem gamblers from gambling more with multiple companies.The Betting and Gaming Council (BGC) criticised the suggestion, stating that the industry already carries out affordability checks and has further moved to strengthen all compliance disciplines in relation to customer affordability checks. The BGC responded: “We already carry out robust and improved affordability checks . . . We disagree with the suggestion of an arbitrary and random low cap on spending and can think of no other area of the economy where the government determines how much an individual can spend.”The report, due to be published on Wednesday, comes as cross-party MPs have called for an overhaul of the 2005 Gambling Act, placing consumer protections at the forefront of UK gambling legislation – a directive backed by the recent House of Lords Select Committee reviewing the impact of gambling on UK society.   The SMF suggested that sole responsibility for the sector should be taken away from DCMS and split between a new industry ombudsman and a licensing authority.James Noyes, a former adviser to the Labour MP Tom Watson and author of the report, said that the implementation of ‘an unambiguous spending threshold’ was ‘the only way’ that individuals could spend within their means. Share Related Articles StumbleUpon UK gambling adopts toughest online advertising code to protect underage audiences August 27, 2020 Submit UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 ASA monitoring sweep marks gambling as the worst underage advertising offender August 26, 2020last_img read more

SFV Brooklyn Beatdown is returning to ESL One New York

first_imgESL and AEG have announced the anticipated return of the Brooklyn Beatdown to Barclays Center for its second edition during ESL One New York on September 16 – 17, 2017. The Street Fighter V tournament will see a total of 256 players fight it out as they compete for the prize pool of $50,000 (£38,471), and of course the Brooklyn Beatdown champion title. ESL and AEG teamed up to deliver this event last year with Zhuojun ‘Xiao Hai’ Zeng emerging victorious The Chinese player took down Japanese pro Yusuke “Momochi” Momochi in the Grand Final. One slight dampener on this occassion is that the prize pool last time around was $75,000 (£57,700) meaning it’s been cut by a third a year on, which isn’t the best news for the FGC scene at large. The registration for the online qualifiers of the tournament is open now and will take place across five different regions: Europe, North America, South America, India, and Southeast Asia. For more information on how to participate in the tournament, it’s best to visit the official Brooklyn Beatdown site.The top players from each region that are successful in the qualifiers will secure a spot at the group stage and get the chance to prove their mettle at the Barclay’s Center. The online qualifiers will be played out in the best of three format, and the offline event will be played using a best of three format up until the playoff rounds begin.Ulrich Schulze, Senior Vice President of Product at ESL commented: “We’re proud to bring Street Fighter V back to the legendary Barclays Center again this year. “The performances and passion of the attendees in 2016 was everything we could have imagined and we are looking forward to witnessing the evolution of the game and its competitors at ESL One New York this September.”Esports Insider says: Good to see the return of the Brooklyn Beatdown to ESL One New York as it gives a major platform for the players that have mastered SFV. Whilst the lower prize pool is a shame, $50,000 remains a prize well worth fighting for especially with the victor taking the lion’s share.last_img read more