The agent of Manchester City target Kevin De Bruyne has categorically denied suggestions the player has committed his future to Wolfsburg, telling talkSPORT he was the victim of ‘a stupid practical joke’.Social media was awash with reports on Monday evening in which De Bruyne appeared to claim he was staying at the German club.Premier League giants City have chased the Belgian playmaker all summer, after he finished last season with a record number of assists for the German Cup winners and Bundesliga runners-up.Wolfsburg director of sport Klaus Allofs recently admitted the club is expecting a ‘crazy’ offer for the 24-year-old, with the Blues reportedly readying a £49million bid which will see the former Chelsea man earn around £230,000 a week.But the ongoing saga took another unexpected turn on Monday, with the German Player of the Year telling press at the Sport Bild award ceremony: “I will stay at Wolfsburg this season.”However, in an exclusive interview with talkSPORT, agent Patrick De Koster fumed that his client had been duped into making the statement.“When we came into the awards ceremony there was an agreement that we were not going to talk about the situation before a live audience,” he told talkSPORT“And, I don’t know why, but at a certain moment the moderator asked Kevin, ‘could you affirm that you will play against Bayern in October’? to which Kevin jokingly replied, ‘yeah, yeah’.“At that stage he then told Kevin, ‘repeat after me, I Kevin (I Kevin) declare I will stay (declare I will stay) in Wolfsburg in October (…in Wolfsburg in October).’“So it was a practical joke, but we were not amused with it.“Why? Because a few minutes later the whole internet and social media was full of this declaration, but for sure it wasn’t a declaration. It was just a practical joke, a stupid practical joke!“And Kevin, before a live audience, what can he do? German is not his mother language!”De Koster added that, despite the stunt, the clubs are still locked in talks over the midfielder’s future and a decision is apparently imminent.“We were really furious about it because he [Kevin] has not made his choice,” he added. “I know negotiations between the clubs are still ongoing.“Can we find the solution? We will see in the next few hours or days what is going to happen.“But what happened yesterday evening was not professional.”
Blackburn vs Bolton Dorian Dervite was sent off for Bolton as the Trotters ground out a dull goalless draw against Blackburn in the Friday night Championship game.Dervite picked was shown two yellow cards in 10 minutes as he left Neil Lennon’s side down to 10 men during stoppage time.Bengali-Fode Kote saw his effort ruled out for offside as both sides saw their winless starts to the season continue.There was not much action of note during a lifeless first half as both teams struggled to carve out any chance of significance.Bolton thought they had won a penalty twice in the same move on 16 minutes as Mark Davies was brought down but unfortunately for the visitors, the referee did not agree.Kote thought he had secured Rovers’ first win of the season five minutes from time after turning in Jordan Rhodes’ swivelled shot but it was correctly ruled out for offside.Dervite then saw red in the 93rd minute for bringing down Kote in the corner. He had received his first after cynically brining down Rhodes as he looked to spring a counter attack.The draw leaves both teams languishing around the bottom of the table with three draws and two defeats from their opening five games. 1
Tottenham v Arsenal: Spurs fans backing Harry Kane to score in the Capital One Cup Will Harry Kane open his account in the League Cup?If he does, then he couldn’t wish to do it against anyone else, with Tottenham’s bitter rivals Arsenal heading over to White Hart Lane.The north London sides have been drawn against each other in the third round, with Spurs striker Kane yet to score so far this season. The Tottenham faithful would love him to do it here and they have been tweeting ahead of the match. 1
Jese Rodriguez 1 Real Madrid have offered Arsenal the chance to sign Jese during the January transfer window.The Spaniard is struggling to break into the first team at the Bernabeu and has made just eight league appearances this season.??Arsenal have scouted the 22-year-old since his youth days and have been linked with a bid in the past.And now, according to Spanish magazine Don Balon, the Gunners will be offered Jese during the January transfer window.Real Madrid are eager to cash in on the forward and believe they could receive as much as £20m for his signature.?Arsenal too are keen to bolster their attacking options, with Danny Welbeck and Theo Walcott both troubled by injury over the past 18 months.
Veteran goalkeeper Shay Given has criticised Jose Mourinho’s latest media outburst, saying the manager’s accusations of betrayal are a ‘slap in the face’ to an already suffering Chelsea team.Mourinho pointed the finger of blame at his players following Monday’s 2-1 defeat to Premier League leaders Leicester City, saying they did not follow the plan he worked for days to formulate ahead of the crucial clash.The boss, whose future at the club has been the topic of discussion with the club’s board over the past 24 hours, said after the game: “My work was betrayed.“I worked four days on this match. I prepared everything related to the opponent. I identified four movements where they scored almost all their goals. My players got all that information, you can ask them, they are honest guys who will tell you it is true.”But Given, special guest co-host on Wednesday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, believes publicly shaming his squad was the wrong call from the experienced coach.“I think betrayal is a very strong word,” said the Stoke City glovesman.“You’re supposed to be in the same camp, together and pulling in the same direction, so to use the word betrayal is a real slap in the face to the players.“By saying that, he’s effectively washing his hands of the team’s performance, but as the manager he should be doing the opposite and backing his players and sticking up for them.“If he does feel betrayed, he should have kept it within the four walls of the dressing room, and not brought it out into the media.”It’s been a remarkable change of fortunes for reigning Premier League champions Chelsea, who are now just one point above the relegation zone after Monday’s loss.The team look a shadow of the side which cantered to the title with relative ease last season, and Given believes the Blues’ fall from grace is one of the biggest in football history.He added: “Chelsea are not at it. It doesn’t look like they’re playing for the manager.“They’ve gone from Premier League champions to a relegation fight. It’s the biggest fall we’ve ever seen in any league in the world.”
Check out this video of all of Jack Wilshere’s best Arsenal goals.The England international turned 24 on January 1 so watch the video and let us know which goal is your favourite!
Jurgen Klopp 1 Jurgen Klopp said the ‘door was wide open’ to get through to the fifth round of the FA Cup after Liverpool crashed out to West Ham at Upton Park.Michail Antonio’s first-half strike was cancelled out by a clever Philippe Coutinho free-kick, taking the match into extra-time.The tie looked to be heading to penalties, only for Angelo Ogbonna’s 120th-minute header to secure a thrilling 2-1 win, and Klopp admitted it wasn’t the easiest season for the Reds.“We played well – the young players were brave,” he said, having brushed off questions about the free-kick which led to Ogbonna’s winner.“That’s good but obviously in this moment it is not too easy because we are only here to win in a cup game. In a cup game, there’s only one reason why you play and that’s to win.“You don’t have to show your best performance, you have to go to the next round. The door was wide open tonight for us because we really did well, but it was not enough.“We have to carry on, we have to fight the next game again. How can I say, it is not the most easy season for Liverpool FC.“A lot of things happened and nothing is easy from the hand, so each chance is hard work.”
The state budget also included $9.5 million in grants for cities with gang problems as well as nonprofit organizations that deal with youth and gang issues. The grant program allocates $1 million specifically to Los Angeles. The bills the governor intends to sign today include: AB 1381, by Assembly Speaker Fabian Nu ez, D-Los Angeles, creates a statewide Office of Gang and Youth Violence Policy to evaluate anti-gang strategies and increase coordination among different local law enforcement agencies. AB 1300, by Assemblyman Curren Price, D-Inglewood, creates new education programs for juvenile offenders. SB 594, by Sen. Gloria Romero, D-Los Angeles, provides more funding and expanded powers to the state’s witness protection and relocation program. AB 1291, Assemblyman Tony Mendoza, D-Artesia, allows courts to order parents of first-time youthful offenders to attend anti-gang parenting classes. AB 1013, Assemblyman Paul Krekorian, D-Burbank, allows prosecutors in four cities, including Los Angeles, to file eviction proceedings against a person who commits certain weapons offenses. The new efforts are coming as some areas of the state are reporting an increase in gang violence. In the San Fernando Valley, for example, gang crime is up about 6 percent this year, and spiked 44 percent last year. The latest statewide statistics are not available yet, but Seave said, “Certainly it seems that this has been a really bad year. “Everyone calls Los Angeles the gang capital of California and the United States, and maybe the world,” Seave added. “Unfortunately, that’s true. But we’re seeing a lot more gang activity and gang violence all around the state. So the impression is it’s getting worse.” [email protected] (916) 446-6723160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SACRAMENTO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger intends to sign five anti-gang bills today designed to boost law enforcement and educational tools to fight a surge in gang violence in California. The bills include new tools for prosecutors – including the ability to evict people convicted of weapons offenses – and educational aspects such as required classes for parents of juveniles convicted of gang-related crimes. The governor has scheduled a bill-signing event today in San Bernardino with District Attorney Michael Ramos. Schwarzenegger has backed several new anti-gang efforts this year, including additional funding in his budget and the hiring of former U.S. Attorney Paul Seave to fill the newly created post of director of gang and youth violence policy. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.He also has appointed a 10-member gang advisory committee. Some Democrats in the past have criticized Schwarzenegger for an approach that they say has not focused enough on education and prevention. But Seave said the governor believes in a multipronged approach, and the bills he is signing today reflect that. “These five bills focus on the suppression and the intervention aspects,” Seave said. “There’s no one right way to go about it. You’ve got to use all approaches.” Earlier this year, Schwarzenegger announced an anti-gang package called CalGRIP that includes elements such as rotating deployments of California Highway Patrol officers to gang-infested areas, new education and intervention programs, and requirements for paroled gang members to wear monitoring bracelets.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre In an opening skirmish, some 400 loyalists of her Pakistan People’s Party, the country’s largest, marched up to riot police blocking their way to the parliament building, where lawmakers minutes earlier had rubber-stamped the emergency declaration. Police fired tear gas over their heads and beat and arrested a few who broke through barricades. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ISLAMABAD, Pakistan – Supporters of Benazir Bhutto clashed with police in front of parliament Wednesday after she urged party activists into the streets to protest emergency rule, deepening the uncertainty engulfing a Pakistan already shaken by rising Islamic militancy. Seeking to position herself as the only leader able to unite the country to confront Islamic extremism, the former prime minister toughened her rhetoric against President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, but she left open the possibility of resuming talks if he ends the crackdown. President Bush, meanwhile, told the U.S.-allied general that Pakistan must go through with parliamentary elections that had been planned for January. Bush commented after a senior U.S. official called Musharraf an “indispensable” ally in the war against extremist groups. Thousands of Pakistanis have been jailed or put under house arrest since Musharraf assumed emergency powers Saturday, and Bhutto called on her followers to show their defiance of the clampdown on civil liberties.
YANGON, Myanmar – China called on Myanmar to speed up democratic reforms, state media reported Saturday – an unusual move for Beijing, which has traditionally refrained from criticizing the military regime. The call came as a U.N. human rights investigator wrapped up a trip to the country that he said had helped him to determine that at least 15 people died during the junta’s crackdown on pro-democracy protests in September. China’s Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi also expressed support for U.N. attempts to reconcile the regime and the suppressed democracy movement during a two-day meeting with the junta that ended Friday. The state-controlled New Light of Myanmar newspaper reported the meeting only after Wang had left the country. China, a communist country whose own record on democratic reforms and human rights has been criticized, is one of Myanmar’s largest trading partners and its main political ally. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Beijing does not usually publicly criticize Myanmar’s military government, a reflection of its position of strict noninterference in the internal affairs of the country. But in recent weeks, it has been credited with working behind the scenes to pressure Myanmar to embrace democratic reforms after the crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrations. China also provided important backing for visits to Myanmar by the U.N. secretary general’s special envoy. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!