hllxwvyg

Our national stadiums are not for sale – Kpenge

first_imgDirector-General of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Mr Joe Kpenge, has said the NSA’s attempt to enter into Public Private Partnership (PPP) is not an attempt to sell the stadium, but to enhance revenue generation.Kpenge said the PPP will provide the NSA with the opportunity to raise funds that will be injected into the management of facilities at the stadium, as well as position them to attract more investors.He said the PPP aims to give the facilities a facelift, adding that facilities at the Accra Sports Stadium, the National Hockey Stadium and the Baba Yara Sports Stadium, in Kumasi will be considered at the initial stages of the partnership.He explained this during a press conference held at the Accra Sports Stadium on Tuesday.He said specific facilities such as the football pitches, artificial turf at the hockey pitch, tennis court, office spaces, hostel, stores, car parks and the open spaces will be given the due consideration in the partnership.The former head of the National Sports College said the Internal Generated Fund (IGF), which is perceived by the public as a source of funding does not hold because their share of the cake is nothing to write home about. He said the NSA receives 15% of gate proceeds of national team matches but that has been increased to 20% while the remaining 80% goes to the Ministry of Youth and Sports (MoYS).He added that the NSA also retains 40% when the stadium is hired, whilst the remaining funds go to MoYS.He also debunked the views of the public that the move will hinder the development of sports in the country saying “this will be a negotiated effort and will give room for proper planning and efficiency on the part of the Sports Associations”.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *