Warriors fall to table-topping Storm

first_imgThe premiers haven’t always been pretty on a winning run that stretches seven matches but they did enough again at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday.In a far cry from their 50-10 win over the Warriors on Anzac Day, Melbourne relied on defensive scrambling, slightly better control and some fortunate referee calls to join South Sydney and St George Illawarra on 13 wins.A superior points differential puts them on top and on target to repeat their minor premiership win in 2017.The Storm welcomed back a swag of Origin players but struggled to bust open a Warriors side who have lost four successive matches at their home ground.First-half tries down the right edge to Will Chambers and Suliasi Vunivalu put them 8-6 up at the break.They set up another narrow triumph, having won three of their previous six games by one point.The Warriors missed the control of injured five-eighth Blake Green while they also lacked direction for much of the second half without hooker Issac Luke, who exited with an injury.Gerard Beale scored the only Warriors try, when winger David Fusitu’a also soared to claim a cross-kick.The hosts went close soon after the break through Kata, who was penalised for a double movement.The Storm closed ranks and pulled clear through penalties to Cameron Smith in the 56th and 78th minutes before repelling a late Warriors attack.It was the Warriors’ sixth-straight loss to the Storm, leaving the Kiwi outfit eighth and under pressure from the in-form Wests Tigers in ninth, four points back.last_img read more

Another boost for Crystal Palace as Bolasie signs new three-year contract

first_img1 Yannick Bolasie [left] has signed a new deal Yannick Bolasie has given Crystal Palace a huge boost by signing a new three-year deal with the club.The winger impressed during his debut season in the Premier League and was the subject of interest from Everton, Newcastle and clubs in the Middle East during the summer.With under a year to go on his present deal the 25-year-old looked to be on his way out of Selhurst Park but after lengthy negotiations he has instead agreed a new contract that runs until the summer of 2017 and put pen to paper on Thursday afternoon.And after the return of Wilfried Zaha – a close friend of Bolasie’s – the contract extension is further good news for the club as new boss Neil Warnock looks to bring in players before the transfer window shuts.With Bolasie and Puncheon cementing their places on the wing it also means Zaha is far from guaranteed a starting spot in Warnock’s new-look side.DR Congo international Bolasie joined the Eagles from Bristol City in the summer of 2012 and made 30 appearances in all competitions last season, as well as starting both of their Premier League games so far this season.Now Palace are expected to focus on new arrivals, with Warnock and co-chairman Steve Parish looking to conclude deals for up to five players before the transfer window shuts.last_img read more

Bush flatly rejects mass deportations

first_imgIRVINE – President Bush had a blunt message Monday for fellow Republicans focusing only on get-tough immigration policies: Sending all of the nation’s estimated 11 million illegal immigrants back to their home countries is not the answer. “Massive deportation of the people here is unrealistic – it’s just not going to work,” Bush said. “You know, you can hear people out there hollering it’s going to work. It’s not going to work.” With Congress coming back from a two-week spring recess to a long election-year to-do list and tensions flaring nationwide over immigration, Bush urged lawmakers to adopt a middle-ground policy. He called a Senate bill, which creates a way for illegal immigrants to work legally in the United States and for many to eventually become citizens, an “important approach.” “It’s just an interesting concept that people need to think through,” Bush said of the bill sponsored by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., which stalled before the congressional break. Reflecting that debate, when Bush turned to the audience assembled by the Orange County Business Council for questions, three of the eight queries he took were on immigration, including one from a woman who asked for his solution to emergency rooms crowded with poor people seeking routine care. Orange County is a heavily Republican swath of sprawling Los Angeles suburbs that has been known – even parodied – as white, rich and conservative. But minorities now make up a majority of residents. Bush said community health centers are the best place for the poor to get primary care. “There needs to be a campaign to explain what’s available for people so that they don’t go to the emergency rooms,” he said. He sought to highlight the contributions of immigrants to American society, and lamented the harsh – and sometimes deadly – conditions that many people face trying to illegally enter the country. “One thing we cannot lose sight of is that we’re talking about human beings, decent human beings that need to be treated with respect,” the president said. The House has passed a law-and-order immigration bill that would erect fences along the Mexican border and treat people who sneak across as felons to be deported. An alternative Senate measure would set up a temporary guest worker program, like the McCain bill, but require all undocumented immigrants to leave the United States before they could apply for the visas. As he has before, Bush stopped short of directly endorsing the McCain bill. The White House will go no further than to call it an attractive vehicle to keep negotiations moving. The bill, also sponsored by Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., would boost border security but also create three-year visas for guest workers. Those who have been in the country longer than five years would not have to return home to apply for the visas. It would also allow for the workers to apply for legal permanent residency after paying a $2,000 fine, learning to speak English and working six years.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventAs for Bush’s comment on deportation, a Time magazine poll in January found 50 percent of the country favored deporting all undocumented immigrants. But even Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., one of Congress’ most outspoken advocates for tougher immigration laws, does not advocate mass deportation. Well aware that November elections could end GOP control of Congress, Bush is walking a fine line on the emotional immigration issue, between his party’s conservative base, which wants a clampdown on illegal immigration, and business leaders who believe the economy needs immigrants to fill jobs. All sides are exerting pressure. With armed citizen patrols popping up in border states, leaders in Arizona and New Mexico have pleaded for better policing of U.S. borders while other communities complain about the pressure that swelling immigrant populations are placing on local services. At the same time, tens of thousands of Latinos and others – a potentially important voting bloc – have taken to streets across the country in the past few weeks to demand more immigration-friendly policies. last_img read more

LARGE ENTRY EXPECTED FOR ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE 5K

first_imgSt. Eunan’s College 5k in association with the Parents’ Association and TY students will take place this Tuesday evening 23rd April at 7:30pm. Registration takes place from 6pm in the College Recreation Hall. Student €5, Adult €5, Family €15. All proceeds go towards College Funds.Parking will be limited at the college so please use the cathedral and mart car parks.This well-planned course will suit both competitive runners and recreational walkers alike. All welcome- see you there! LARGE ENTRY EXPECTED FOR ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE 5K was last modified: April 21st, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:LARGE ENTRY EXPECTED FOR ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE 5Klast_img read more

SOCCER – LAGAN HARPS FC NOTES

first_imgOur mens team finished their season on a low when they suffered relegation from the premier division. Yet again the players put in a committed performance before going down 2-1 away to St Catherine’s, in Killybegs. Kevin Mc Hugh was the scorer. The team now needs to set up proper structures off the field before we start up again next year.The men’s team’s AGM will be on Sunday May 26th at 7.30pm in the Resource Centre. New committee member’s would be welcomed and anyone interesting in helping out in any way is more than welcome.Our u/14’s also completed their season when they suffered a heavy defeat to Ballyraine. Our u/10’s were in action in the 9 a side competition. They beat Dunfanaghy 3-0 with Dean Rodgers, Tiernan Brown and Mark Bonner scoring. They lost 1-0 to Milford in their second match. Caoimhin Wheeler and Killian Gribben were their best players. In our weekly lotto the numbers drawn were 1,9,15 and 17. Fifteen people had two numbers with Darren Boyle being drawn out and winning E50. Next week’s jackpot is E4100. The club extends sympathy to the Mc Menamin and Mc Kelvey families on their recent bereavements.SOCCER – LAGAN HARPS FC NOTES was last modified: May 6th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Lagan Harps FC noteslast_img read more

SEAN BRINGING SOCCER FUN ACADEMY TO DONEGAL

first_imgLocal soccer coach Sean Davis with Everton and Rep. of Ireland international Shane Duffy at the launch of his Fun Soccer Academy Summer Programme.The coaching will cater for boys and girls aged 5-17 years and will focus primarily on the key areas of dribbling, shooting passing and control through the use of fun coaching techniques.There are also numerous ‘Mini Soccer Competitions’ which include; World Cup; Premier League; Spanish League and Champions League as well as the ever popular ‘Penalty King’ and ‘Penalty Queen’ Competitions. Sean will be bringing the Academy to Bonagee Showgrounds, Letterkenny from Monday 22nd to Thursday 25th July – Contact Gerry Gallagher 0863397235. Ray Community Centre, Rathmullan from Tuesday 23rd to Friday 26th July – Contact Gerry Gallagher 0863397235. Drumbar Utd., Donegal Town from Tuesday 30th July to Friday 2nd August – contact Paddy Brogan 0876834507. Aileach FC, Inch Road, Burnfoot from Tuesday 20th August to Friday 23rd August – contact Stephen O’Donnell 0863009314Registration for the courses will take place on the first day @ 10.00am. Lunch is from 12.30 – 1.00pm with the course finishing a 3.00pm each day. In addition to the coaching each participant will receive: free top quality football, certificate of achievement and refreshments daily and there are 100’s of prizes to be won including t-shirts, trophies, boot-bags and medals.For further information contact Sean Davis on 048 7126 3044:  SEAN BRINGING SOCCER FUN ACADEMY TO DONEGAL was last modified: July 4th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalletterkennysoccer campslast_img read more

COUNCIL TO INVESTIGATE IMPACT OF DERRY GASIFICATION ON DONEGAL

first_imgDonegal County Council is to investigate the potential environmental impacts of Derry’s Maydown plant on Donegal.Inishowen Sinn Féin councillor Jack Murray has welcomed agreement from the local authority that it will investigate any potential impacts the proposed gasification plant will have on the environment in Donegal.The council agreed to investigate that matter after an emergency motion was moved by Cllr Murray at the full sitting on Donegal County Council. Cllr Murray said “I recently expressed concern after receiving written confirmation that Alex Attwood, the then Minister for Environment in the north, felt there was no need to consult with any organisation in Donegal before planning to build a massive gasification plant in Maydown – just a few kilometres away from Inishowen.“I raised my concerns with the county manager and then submitted an emergency motion to the county council, asking for an investigation into any potential impacts that this plant could have on the environment here.“Many residents in Inishowen are deeply concerned that pollution arising from the plant will travel downwind and pollute the air here.“It is important that we assess all potential risks associated with this massive development and move to address them immediately. “The people of Donegal should have our say into any development which will affect our communities. I will work to ensure that we do.” COUNCIL TO INVESTIGATE IMPACT OF DERRY GASIFICATION ON DONEGAL was last modified: July 26th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DerryDonegal County CouncilJack MurrayMaydown Plantlast_img read more

STRANDED! ANOTHER UNFORTUNATE DRIVER CAUGHT SHORT ON DONEGAL BEACH

first_imgThe car is caught short by the incoming tide on Rossnowlagh Beach. Pic by Surfers Bar.Another driver is caught by the incoming tide at Rossnowlagh beach.Last month it was an ice-cream van and before that it was another family car.The latest incident at the popular coastline resort saw an overseas visitor left stranded as the tide turned quickly. It’s understood the car could not be moved as it became stuck in the soft sand.Although many locals are aware of the dangers of the beach, many visitors are not.The owner of this SAAB car eventually recovered the car but a considerable amount of water damage was done to the vehicle.Perhaps it’s time the council considered erecting even bigger signs warning motorists of the dangers of driving onto the beach. STRANDED! ANOTHER UNFORTUNATE DRIVER CAUGHT SHORT ON DONEGAL BEACH was last modified: September 13th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cardonegalrossnowlagh beachStrandedlast_img read more

Donegal motorists face Derry border check today

first_imgTHE PSNI and HM Customs & Revenue have been running a Border checkpoint today just a few hundred metres inside Co Derry at Coshquin.As details emerge of a new row over Brexit, the shape of what might be ahead could be seen at there this morning.Vehicles travelling from Donegal were being stopped, with some selected for fuel checks at a nearby industrial estate site. The EU will publish its view on the next steps of Brexit later today.Meanwhile a DUP MP for East Derry Gregory Campbell told RTE Radio 1 earlier that there won’t be a hard border between north and south.He said it would be “impossible to man 300 border crossings” but said any attempt to keep the North inside an EU Customs Union would be opposed by his party – which is propping up the Tory government at Westminster.  Donegal motorists face Derry border check today was last modified: February 28th, 2018 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BrexitbridgendCoshquinDerrydonegalfuel checklast_img read more