Australia resumed at 241 for 7 on day three, with news breaking of Michael Clarke’s impending retirement and England holding a 90-run lead.It was only a matter of time at Trent Bridge before the hosts took an unassailable 3-1 lead in the five-Test series and reclaimed the urn.The tail delayed the inevitable for 39 minutes before Nathan Lyon played on, the uprooted off stump triggering wild celebrations.Adam Voges finished 51 not out, one of few positives in what has been a miserable match for the tourists.Realistically, there was only one result possible in the game after Australia were skittled for 60 in 18.3 overs on day one, Stuart Broad recording unprecedented figures of 8-15.The tourists showed a bit more ticker after their ignominious day-one debacle, the fastest first innings in Test history.However, Australia still needed a handful of reprieves to avoid their first two-day Test loss since 1890.David Warner was dropped twice on Friday, while Chris Rogers and Peter Nevill were recalled after video replays revealed no-balls.Bad light also helped push the game to a third day.The shambolic defeat, which follows a similarly one-sided game at Edgbaston last week, will have major ramifications.Already, Clarke has seemingly fallen on his sword after vowing to fight on three days earlier.Clarke is but one of many batsmen to be exposed in a handful of woeful collapses that shaped the series.Much had been made of the topsy-turvy nature of the much-hyped contest.The reality is Australia’s 405-run win in the second Test at Lord’s, in which Steve Smith scored his maiden double-century, was the anomaly.Brutal bursts of seam and swing bowling from Broad, Jimmy Anderson and Steve Finn exposed the batting order in Cardiff, Birmingham and Nottingham.
Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MOST READ “We have been trying to convince or discuss the matter with FIBA,” SBP president Al Panlilio told AFP. “Everyone is working on the matter and we will do everything we can to make it happen.”“Based on our constitution, he is Filipino. He has a passport. But he got it after he was 16 years old,” Panlilio added.Having both Clarkson and Blatche play would be a “deadly combination” for the Philippines, who were eliminated in the preliminary round of the 2014 World Cup, said sports commentator Quinito Henson.“His combination with Andray Blatche plus the other Filipino players will make the Philippines competitive against the best in the world,” Henson told AFP. The Gilas’ campaign looked bleak after they had 10 players, including Blatche, suspended for the shocking fight with Australia last July.ADVERTISEMENT Connecticut runners part of debate over transgender athletes But they squeezed through as the best fourth-placed team following the final round of qualifiers over the weekend.“It’s been a journey and it’s been quite difficult because you know we had a major issue with the Australian incident, the brawl,” Panlilio said. “The stars really had to align for us… We are very happy and proud to be back in the World Cup.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES The Philippines reached their second straight World Cup despite a campaign that included a mass, on-court brawl with Australia that left 10 of their players suspended last year.Filipino-American Clarkson represented the Philippines at last year’s Asian Games, but the World Cup operates under FIBA rules which could classify him as “naturalised” as he obtained his Filipino passport after the age of 16.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsFIBA also restricts each team to one “naturalised” player, meaning the Philippines would have to choose between the Cleveland Cavaliers point guard and Blatche, who acquired Filipino nationality by naturalisation.However, the Philippine basketball federation (SBP) is trying to convince FIBA to accept Clarkson as a Filipino citizen. Philippines’ Jordan Clarkson shoots as South Korea’s Lee Seoung-hyun tries to block during the men’s basketball competition at the 18th Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia, Monday, Aug. 27, 2018. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)The Philippines said they were working hard to have NBA star Jordan Clarkson declared eligible for this year’s World Cup as they celebrated their “against all odds” qualification on Monday.Former NBA player Andray Blatche led the way as the Gilas beat Kazakhstan 93-75 in Astana on Sunday to grab Asia’s final qualifying spot for the tournament in China.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines?
Photo: City Councilors kept their end of the bet and wore Taylor’s t-shirts at Monday night’s meeting (Left to Right) – Trevor Bolin, Bruce Christensen, Dan Davies, Mayor Bruce Lantz, Lori Ackerman, Larry Evans and Don Irwin. – Christine Rumleskie/Energeticcity.caFort St. John City Councilors were decked out in the District of Taylor’s emblem on Monday.- Advertisement -In April, the City challenged Taylor to raise the most money for the 18th Annual Bowl for Kids Sake. The losing team would have to wear the other’s t-shirt at a Council Meeting.Taylor ended up victorious, so Fort St. John Councilors kept their end of the bet and sported golf shirts displaying Taylor’s logo.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Initially, the bar codes will work only with webcams and digital cameras, as cell phone cameras can’t take a clear enough photo, Microsoft said. The company also said movie producers, TV networks and other content creators will have to figure out what, if anything, the consumer will see online. Gavin Jenke, the Microsoft researcher who invented the colorful bar code, said the United States would eventually catch up with Japan, where it’s common to see people snapping photos of giant bar codes posted on billboards. Past U.S. efforts to link bar codes with the Web failed – CueCat in the 1990s, for example. This time, Jenke said the technology may have a shot thanks to the rise of cell phone cameras, broadband connections and even the way people think about the Internet. “Tagging real-world objects to something more meaningful, this is what’s kind of happening in the culture,” Jenke said. SEATTLE – Microsoft Corp. has finally found a taker for a colorful bar-code technology the company shelved two years ago because it failed to catch on. Microsoft said that the small square symbols, filled with red, green, yellow and black triangles, will appear on DVD and video game cases later this year, thanks to a licensing deal with the ISAN International Agency. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. The Geneva-based organization assigns codes to movies and other works and keeps a database about each title – director, cast members, release date, for instance. Once the group starts issuing the bar codes, studios and producers will be able to link their Web sites to that database. One day, consumers might use a digital camera to “scan” bar codes on DVD cases, in advertisements and on billboards, then be transported to a Web page to watch trailers or buy products.
Phil Jagielka is confident Everton will compete for a Champions League qualification place in this year’s Premier League.The Toffees were one of the top flight’s surprise packages last term, eventually finishing in fifth after losing a season-long battle with Arsenal for fourth spot.Europa League qualification still represents progress for the Merseyside outfit, who enjoyed a promising start to Roberto Martinez’s reign as manager, but captain Jagielka hopes they can go one better ths time around.Everton’s summer transfer activity hasn’t compared to that of their rivals at the top of the table, having signed just three senior players in Romelu Lukaku, Gareth Barry and Bosnia international Muhamed Besic, yet the England defender believes that could work in the side’s favour.Asked if a top four place is a realistic goal for the club, Jagielka said: “Oh yes, definitely.“We didn’t expect to finish anywhere near where we did last season and many probably thought we overachieved.“But, while we know it will be difficult, we’re confident we can do better than last year.“Sure, lots of teams around us have been active in the transfer market this summer, but buying players and getting bigger squads doesn’t instantly give you a better team.“We saw Tottenham struggle last year after spending all the Gareth Bale money, so as much as we haven’t drastically changed our squad from last year, we’ve got a continuity in the team and that will be a strong point for us this season.”
This will be the first Clasico without either Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo since December 2007, when Julio Baptista’s winner was the difference in a 1-0 win for Real Madrid.There have been 35 games between them since. Messi has lit up more than a few – the hat-trick in 2007, the two free-kicks, and that run, leaving five Madrid players for dead, Sergio Ramos twice.In a stall on Carrer d’Aristides Maillol, lining the western edge of Camp Nou, a vendor stands under a collection of red and yellow scarves, behind him pinned up shirts with Messi, 10, on their backs.“We will sell Messi shirts here even 20 years after he retires,” he says. “Nothing will change on Sunday.” What does a Clasico mean without Messi? “No hay”. “There isn’t one”.Which isn’t true of course. It was 1902 when Barcelona first appeared in Madrid for the semi-final of the Copa Coronacion. There have been 199 of them without Messi and there will be many more after he has gone.There is no other footballer that attracts so much adulation so far around the globe as Lionel Messi © AFP/File / HECTOR RETAMALBut in this current era, this fixture, at Camp Nou, is about him more than anyone else. Everyone wants to witness Messi once, still more on the biggest stage.When he stayed down clutching his broken right arm against Sevilla last weekend, it was a blow for Barca but a blow too for the thousands that thought they were eight days away.More than 8,000 kilometres away in Whitehorse, northern Canada, Barcelona fan Myles was one of those watching. He has ‘MESSI’ as his car number plate. His six years supporting means he has only ever known the club with Messi in it.“I consider myself a big Barca fan but I have a special obsession with Messi,” he says.Myles and his girlfriend paid 500 euros each for tickets to this Clasico. Their 19-hour flights, each way, cost a combined 1600 Canadian dollars.“To say I was shell-shocked when he got injured is an understatement,” Myles says. It is not about the money. “In a scenario where it was guaranteed Messi would play I would have paid north of 2000 dollars for tickets.”The sense of time running out increases the stakes for these far-away fans. Messi turned 31 in June and this next meeting is a sneak peak into the future. Not long away, supporters will wonder if every Clasico could be his last.For Lionel Messi’s fanatical fans there is a growing sense of time running out to see the star in action as Messi turned 31 in June © AFP/File / GASTON DE CARDENASLucas is from Texas, celebrating his 10-year wedding anniversary in Spain. He will go alone to the Camp Nou on Sunday, where he has shelled out 1400 US dollars on a VIP ticket.“I knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me,” Lucas said. “I thought it could be my first, and likely only time, watching Messi play.”There are the family connections too, like Marta and her brother Javier, who have flown over from Tenerife, and have been Barcelona fans since they were children.“We support Barca but we love Messi,” Marta said. “Our hope has always been to see Barca at the Camp Nou but even more exciting was to see the best player in history. The injury against Sevilla left us so disappointed.”And those that came out of national pride like Laucha, who has travelled from Viedma in Argentina. “I am a Boca Juniors fan and the expense was considerable, but Messi is Messi,” she said. “This opportunity will probably not come again for me. It hurts in the depths of my soul.”Samantha from England, whose husband is taking their fanatical eight-year-old son as a birthday present, would even accept a sighting. “Perhaps he could still walk around the pitch and wave,” she says.There is no other footballer that attracts so much adulation so far around the globe as Messi.As the biggest teams are increasingly watched more on screens than from stands, by supporters with no tangible link to their cities, the most recognisable players are becoming just as iconic as their clubs.When one website advertised tickets on Twitter for last weekend’s game between Barca and Sevilla, the bait was catching Messi in full flow. “Sevilla are one of #Messi’s favourite victims,” it read.Madrid are too. He has 26 goals in 38 games against them, but not on Sunday. For his opponents, relief. For some of his fans, regret, and the hope the chance will come round again.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Lionel Messi – misses Clasico © AFP / LLUIS GENEBARCELONA, Spain, Oct 27 – Barcelona will miss Lionel Messi on Sunday – his goals, his dribbles, his presence as much as anything – but the angst will be gone with the help of three weeks’ rest and a sling.For the fans that came to see him, not the match or the teams, but him, the disappointment will be harder to shake.
Bastian Schweinsteiger has no plans to leave Manchester United this summer.The German – who announced his international retirement last week – is reportedly one of nine players new manager Jose Mourinho wants to get rid of during the current transfer window as he begins to mould his squad.But, according to Bild, Schweinsteiger is intent on seeing his deal out at Old Trafford rather than leaving.The 32-year-old still has two years to run on his current contract and he has told the club he plans to honour it.Schweinsteiger reportedly has offers from China and the Middle East, while teams in Italy are also interested too. 1 Bastian Schweinsteiger: The 32-year-old has reportedly been told he can leave Old Trafford
A large number of Gardai were called to Bunrnfoot last night after a major disturbance involving the Travelling community.Several Garda cars rushed to the scene close to a bar in the Tooban area.The incident happened just before midnight and eyewitnsses said that four units were dispatched form Letterkenny to back up their colleagues from Buncrana. There was also a large Garda presence in the Bridgend area.Gardai liaised with their PSNI counterparts in Derry during the operation.We will have more on this story shortly. GARDAI CALLED TO MAJOR DISTURBANCE OVERNIGHT was last modified: October 11th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bridgendGardaiPSNIrow
Letterkenny Town Councillor Tagdh Culbert thinks the council isn’t doing enough to tell people exactly how much good work they are doing.So now the well-known local politician is bringing a motion before tonight’s council meeting calling for signs to be put out when the work is being done!Cllr Culbert says the council’s vans and lorries should also carry similar signs. “We spend enormous amounts of money each year and should claim credit for it,” LET’S ‘SIGN’ OFF ON OUR GOOD WORK – CLLR CULBERT was last modified: April 10th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cllr Tagdh CulbertLetterkenny Town Council
A number of workers have been questioned by Department of Social Welfare officials who raided a construction site today.The official inspection was undertaken by a number of social welfare inspectors on a site which is currently under construction.The raid took place on the site in Letterkenny earlier this morning. It is understood the inspection was part of ongoing investigations into social welfare fraud.Details of a number of workers were taken on site.It is understood the operation lasted more than an hour.The site is under construction for a number of weeks and contains a number of sub-contractors. SOCIAL WELFARE INSPECTORS RAID BUILDING SITE IN FRAUD CRACKDOWN was last modified: January 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:building siteDepartment of Social Welfaredole